Forum Etiquette......

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, suppliers are getting the sharp end of the stick of late. If I've ever had a an issue (not that I have in the VW community) I take it up directly with the supplier/individual. I suppose as I'm hitting 40 this year I'm of the generation that values direct contact and not one to slag anyone off in an open forum.

Des

As a very regular reader but infrequent poster I use the site for information and have learnt loads on here over the last couple of years or so, including before I 'signed up'. I have always enjoyed the vast majority of the banter and can only really think of one previous occasion where a regular contributor took offence to so called censorship and decided to leave...and this led to some bad vibes for a week or so.

Thankfully that passed and generally I think it is still fine with only the occasional post that I would rather not see. I've bought and sold items to / from various people on here with no problems and think it would be a big loss if some of the regulars / old-timers decided it was becoming too much hassle.

Life is too short as mentioned above and our buses cause us enough grief from time to time as it is so let's keep it chilled on here.

And my bus has got two sunroofs so I'm not going anywhere near it on a scooter :lol:

Is it just me, or this a depressing thread? No offence Graham, you mean well and what you say makes a lot of sense, I don't disagree with you. But you have opened a can of worms here, a bit like asking your nan if she has just f**ted because of the smell when she enters the room. :lol:

Yet, I can't recall too many incidences of the mods having to step in of late, which suggests that things ain't that bad? Or have I missed something dreadful... :oops: I do agree entirely about the increase in slagging suppliers off though, that just isn't right.

Like most, I use the search function, and like some, I often know the answer is there but can't locate it, so I ask the stupid question again. And I am grateful when somebody kindly points me towards the previous thread. Likewise, I have been that person pointing others towards a past thread. But often things need a follow up question and it seems right to allow that.

There is room for everyone I reckon. Except those kitchen folk. :evil:

What a great forum this is ... Good in a way that everyone can express their point of view and good that we can all take a step back and see the bigger picture . Enjoyment of our busses.

I for one now visit regularly and miss it whenever it's not available.you could say I am hooked!

Well done mods and fellow Earlybayers, it not as bad as you may think...

:D :D

Every body takes or gives something different from forums , VZI , thelatebay.com and earlybay all have positives and negatives and I use them all , VZI has its fair share of slagging offs but is a massive massive information base . Would be boring if we were all the same

After the last few posts including Delilatoo's it looks like myself and the old guard are in the minority which is a shame, the point is you don't see what the mods have to do and there has been a lot of action lately, just ask one of them. What I was suggesting was trying to save them work.

I wasn't trying to be depressing at all just making an observations about the forum which other long time users had also spotted,

Definitely time to go and sit in the naughty corner again, :( :(

Graham , you don't need to do that fella, you just care about this forum, which is more than some members of other forums.

Fair play to you.

No need to sit in the corner... Your views are just constructive comments. All I know is It's hard to write and others read the same sentiment in an email.

I for one wasn't sure about the search function , so thanks for pointing this out.

I like this forum :D ...while I'm here will audi rims fit my t4?
(sorry, got a flashback then, thought I was on the vwt4forum) :lol:
maybe a general waffle category could be helpful for non eb specific ramblings??
I've only noticed one negative posting and the guy was soon banned, guess the mods do a good job or we'd see more.
need a thumbs up smily

Graham, you can defintely get yourself off the naughty step. Anyone who has been round here for longer than 5 minutes knows what you bring to this place.

Although I'm not a prolific contributor (mostly down to my lack of knowledge) on EB. Ive been around for a good while now lurking in the background like a dirty voyeur :oops: since I got my bus in 2008 and Ive always found mods and general users alike friendly and welcoming. In fact If ever finish my bus and get to a show Im sure you will be friendly in 'real' life too :D

Picking up on your points . . .

I can see why slagging off suppliers and services etc must be a massive headache for the forum and the mods. Ive noticed a bit of this of late and it leaves me feeling a bit uncomfortable and concerned for both parties. I personally think these things should be sorted out directly otherwise it all gets a bit Jeremy Kyle and out of control.

The search function - I'd consider myself ophey with the search feature but sometimes when you don't know, you don't know and then when you think you might be beginning to know you then want clarification that you .... know. Id hate this forum to become like VZI where you don't dare stick your head above the parapet and ask a question because you get shot for not previously owned 45 other VW's from the age of 12.

General...... Is that not what it is for? I think you need a place for chit chat as has already been said..... to build up relationships. If we didnt Im thinking it would be like going to work, having a great working relationship but not knowing if the guy on the next desk is married, has children so on and so on. Its unnatural.

Resource is imperative and Im sure the reason we all ended up here but without chit chat would this place evolve and gain new resource?

Just my thoughts on it all.

+1 Graham - from my experience having setup and run a large (2000+ member) gaming forum I've seen some extremes of behaviour online :oops: , a forum has a particular character and it's the preservation of this character which is important - forums can change as people come and go and it's how the forum is modded to the ethos of that character that keeps the mods busy and the forum on-track - it can over time become cliquey or behaviour (such as language or types of off topic posts) can change which can deviate from the founding principles

o.k. so gaming is a little different to bays and EB.com is certainly still the most welcoming and informative forum out there - but the underlying sentiment is correct in gently reminding people of the core value in a welcoming, friendly site, with members helping members in the spirit of a shared love of bays - and eb.com is still imo one of the best modded sites on t'interweb :)

Hopefully I havent asked too many questions where the answers already were somewhere to be found and the kitchens for sale posts are spammers, I got told off once for posting on the kitchen threads but quite happy to take that on board, as it makes the mods/admins life easier. I'm interested in what people say about the various suppliers, particularly if they gave good/great service but agree slagging them off on here first is not the best way of resolving a dispute with them, much better to go to them direct. Wouldnt want it to become like checkatrade where all you see is good reviews and no criticism, that's certainly not balanced.

PS I'm quite happy with the oil I use :roll:

Graham L said:
After the last few posts including Delilatoo's it looks like myself and the old guard are in the minority which is a shame, the point is you don't see what the mods have to do and there has been a lot of action lately, just ask one of them. What I was suggesting was trying to save them work.

I wasn't trying to be depressing at all just making an observations about the forum which other long time users had also spotted,

Graham I thank you for your wise and considered words,

I am completely with you and LOVE this forum, and think you are posting in the interest of the greater good.

I too would like to publically thank the MODS for all their hard work and dedication. BUT we all can self moderate ourselves and make their lives easier and the forum a better place.

These are my personal thoughts and nothing to do with work, I have been an EB member and owner of an Early Bay far longer than I have worked for VW Heritage.

Graham L said:

No, no, not at all Graham. I enjoy reading your inputs, I have learned loads from you and others, and your sentiments are spot on. Maybe as one of the originals you see a different side to the forum that some others don't, that is all. So get yourself off that naughty step. :D

I do think that there is space for on here for a range of opinions and views, within the rules set by the excellent mods of course. I trust them to keep us in check, and they do a fine (and thankless) job. Your reminder to keep the forum a good and enjoyable space is welcome, but lets not stifle it.

I am less depressed about it this morning...the wine helps. :lol:

I think forums are all things to all men. For many it's just an online resource , usually one of many, for others there comes a sense of ownership and therefore the desire to protect it. For those here since the start the growth has changed the dynamic massively - that can be for the good and the bad so it's inevitable some will drift away , there is also Facebook etc to be factored in where people who become mates communicate seperately. I really hope though that everyone who has been part of the community here will always feel like they can return.

Clem said:
I think forums are all things to all men. For many it's just an online resource , usually one of many, for others there comes a sense of ownership and therefore the desire to protect it. For those here since the start the growth has changed the dynamic massively - that can be for the good and the bad so it's inevitable some will drift away , there is also Facebook etc to be factored in where people who become mates communicate seperately. I really hope though that everyone who has been part of the community here will always feel like they can return.

Can't disagree at all Mike.
Graham was right to put his points forward, but forums like all things evolve but the core values of EB have remained, the sharing of knowledge, help to other members - in many forms, the opportunity to buy and sell at no cost in virtually a safe environment and friendly helpful banter. But as I've said before, the quality of the forum is in our hands not the mods. As long as we remind ourselves of this once in a while, appreciate the good unpaid work that the mods do behind the scene we will always rise above the mediocrity and self destruction capabilities of other forums be they VW connected or any other interest.

And Graham, move yourself from the naughty step and put the kettle on or take the top off a beer and share it with us at Stanford Hall this weekend :)

Thanks G for posting I agree about the searching - it is under used but then it isn't always the easiest to find the detail - perhaps a 'list all' would help as shuffling through 4 to 5 pages BUT there is the secondary search too - so 'search these results', again shouldn't be underestimated.

Whilst I agree that suppliers and companies have a right to fair representation, they can't have it both ways - ie ending up with beneficial SEO searches by being mentioned in forum posts and then the negative of being also mentioned in 'issue' posts - surely there's no bad press?

One thing that has niggled me of late and it's no biggy and I don't expect my thoughts to change anything, is the blatant selling via threads. For example a thread on "where is a good place to buy a beam", moves away from a thread based on real 'end user' experience to 'we sell that and here's the link' , that's what PM's are for surely?
Again I'm probably the only one who cares...for me it's not helpful as I want reviews and experiences not something I could have googled myself...

I do also want to say that I view the site every day and find it invaluable so I am happy to play by any 'mild' rules and put up with some things that niggle!! Thanks to the Mods for keeping the site running.
8)

I've been a lurker and infrequent poster for about 5 years on this site and have a lot to thank it for.

Always knew i wanted a bus and it was this forum that made me realise i wanted an Earlybay

When i bought one, it was off MEB (maybe some bias there to a supportive post)

Thanks to this forum I've met a like minded bunch of people at the Lincoln meet

Anytime i have posted I've been impressed with the friendly welcoming atmosphere and i think there's still enough of a core here that will ensure this continues for another 7 years.

Also, anytime i cock something up on the van my first port of call is the search function on this site, its got me out the crap a few times!!

WHS (rockandrollcam...), saves me the typing. I mostly agree with Graham et al, however the General thread on here is mostly quiet, we're not exactly overwhemed with new posts...

As a side I'm a kitchen fitter by trade and would be happy to offer an exclusive 2.5% dicount to EB members*.

(*Over 75's only and if accompanied by both partents, for credit checking purposes)

Latest posts