Freaky electrical 'issue'

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbly

Reaction score
Wonder if someone can shed some light...

Drove to Brighton Breeze saturday - awesome drive - 60-65mph all the way there, van was lovely after the carb rebuild, kids smiling, 24mpg, the world was a lovely place.

Got to the show, hung out, did the beach and rides on the pier, came to come home and engine wouldn't turn over. All lights were fine and very slight dimming of gen/ign lamps when starter button pressed but not major, so not battery.

Stuck it in gear and rocked it to try to free stuck starter - no effect.

Got a push start from a couple of the lads from the people who take your photo on the way in (Thanks, lads) and started fine. Kept it running and it drove home perfectly. Got it in the workshop, switched off and wouldn't turn over again.

This is where it gets weird. As I turned the ignition off, the generator light came ON. I turned the ignition on and the gen light went OFF and the oil light came ON. Turned ign off and again, the gen light came ON. Kept doing that, with starter not turning and slight dim of all lights but not out completely.

Turned off the electrical kill switch, went indoors and had a beer.

Still like that now - scared to go back to the workshop in case it's turned into a Decepticon.

Does this sound like a) a knackered starter - which I can handle. b) something weird going on in the electrics, which I probably can't?

Any light shed would be a massive help before I start chasing my own tail...

Many thanks,

Jim

The warning lights coming on at the wrong times makes it sound like you may have a faulty ignition switch.

Another way the ign light can be on when the ign is off is if the voltage regulator has stuck on.

As for the starter not turning, you need to use a test light and see if power is reaching the spade connector on the starter solenoid when the key is turned to the starting position.

It sounds a lot like a naff ignition switch TBH.

If you jack up the back of the bus, you can test the starter.
place it in neutral and turn the ignition on, but not cranking.
clamber underneath (axle stands!!!) and with a screwdriver, short out the connection on the starter between the big old stud with the main power feed on it, and the short push-on connector on the solenoid. starter should work. if it doesn't, then you've either got a problem with the main power feed to the starter, your earth strap (both of these can be checked visually) or your starter is knackered.
if the starter works, then you've got a wiring issue or a naff switch, which would also explain the power delivery issue to the speedo (crazy oil/gen lights, might also experience iffy indicators)

Dynamo or alternator faulty? Not charging the battery enough to start but enough for lights? Not sure about the lights on/off scenario. I had the same thing on my van a few years ago and it was a dud dynamo. Or maybe check the earth connections??

Happystamps said:
It sounds a lot like a naff ignition switch TBH.

If you jack up the back of the bus, you can test the starter.
place it in neutral and turn the ignition on, but not cranking.
clamber underneath (axle stands!!!) and with a screwdriver, short out the connection on the starter between the big old stud with the main power feed on it, and the short push-on connector on the solenoid. starter should work. if it doesn't, then you've either got a problem with the main power feed to the starter, your earth strap (both of these can be checked visually) or your starter is knackered.
if the starter works, then you've got a wiring issue or a naff switch, which would also explain the power delivery issue to the speedo (crazy oil/gen lights, might also experience iffy indicators)

I would have said do it with the ignition off for a test, unless you want the van to start. Make sure it's in neutral otherwise it will probably run you over :lol:

I had exactly the same symptoms..... for me it was the cable that runs from the battery to the starter motor. The connection at the starter motor had frayed and was down to a single stand.... just enough to light the gen light, but as soon as switch turned dimmed to nothing!!

For me an easy fix.... (Botch!!).... cut back the wire and wrap around the bolt.... must fix with a proper connector!!!

If you dont sort it go on to vzi(hate the site) there is a chap called speedy jim he is an electrical wizzard he'll tell you how to fix it and give diagrams were needed he's a really nice guy. cheers phill

All,

Massive thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Will work through them in order of simplicity (mine, not the suggestions) and report back when I eventually muster the motivation to go back to the workshop, now the weather's turned.

Thanks again - knew I could rely on EBers...

Jim

I have had a similar issue this summer and it turned out to be a cracked electrical connection to the starter motor that didnt show until you took it apart, took me a new starter motor and wiring right through to find it. Hope you sort it soon :(

i KNOW !!!! its a faulty diode pack in the alternator .if you have a dynamo ignore this and chase up the other segestions.

Latest posts