french -72 westy -snowman-

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New year and project continue after little brake because health issues and studies.
Well, I was not happy driverside fender which was fixed with lead and filler. So cutting peace away and fixing inside fender and put new piece.
P_20161212_165657_HDR.jpg

..and fixed
P_20161213_161035.jpg

After long time the day came to try new rims: 8) Centrals will get new colour and front should lower more minimum 5cm. Drop spindles could be the best for me, but which are fitting this -71- 72 models?
Reto, any tips?
DSC_0396m.jpg

DSC_0401.jpg

Behind it is tight put fitting. Behing it is lower 2 bores and tyre went on place without problem ( I have change 2 11mm bolt on brakedrum lower ones)
I was supriced how fat is 205 tyre on 8" rim.

My garage is too cold for painting anything in winter so rims and body is waiting warmer weather...

I got more insipiration with trying rims! :D :D Happy new year for everyone!

Your bus is looking absolutely great with the new wheels on! Love it! You make a very good job! Can I buy your wheels? :lol:
As you can see in my build thread, I've mounted the dropped spindels from vintage autohaus in france. They're top quality, but you have to change the brake caliper and the disc to the later ones from 73. The good thing about that is, that they're much cheaper than the brake parts for 70-72 buses. The only thing wich I'm not so happy about it is, they're 10mm wider than original spindels. If you want I will made some more pics from my spindels and perhaps the adjustable spring plates?

Best regards and hope to see you in 2017
Reto

New wheels are not ready and you want to buy them... no ;)
Anyway , there little progress for the rims and car is almost ready to paint... more with pictures:
For rims: They are painted with D90L white, same colour comes for westy roof and bumpers.

I painted roof and all doors from inside, so I will paint whole car with doors on place

Little painting details also:

Finishing body for painting continue and after paint I focus more suspension and inside... there is lot of work to do :) Mayby on the road this year...

Thanks.

It have now one colour and I have install drop spindles, but with axel lowest position tyres are against body :)
I'm happy for result. This would be parking high ;)

I will take more pictures when roof and bumbers are painted...

I have owned bus now 6 years and during putting indicators in place I notice that there was 2 times lefthand indicators :) This show how much I have give attention for bus before :)

Hello .
Boring cleaning work start to be almost finished and now I can start installing gearbox (where I change all sealings) and engine.
Bumpers have painted and next step is to paint raising roof.

Front axel is cleaned and painted, lot of new parts installed :)

Work continue... but it is slowly, when you work everything by yourself, but I'm happy :)

Good to end weekend after beach day to installing roof on place :)

Now there is lot of white, but bumpers and rims have same colour .

P_20170611_171948.jpg

Next step was repairing opening side quarterlight windows. Our van had two, but slidingdoor haved replace by westy lamel window. Which will come now driverside ( left), so I need to fix both quarterlight windows.
This work took 2 days with painting.

Condition was quite bad and I had little problem to imagine how it was before with all details...
Sealings were good condition.
DSC_0002_1.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

So I pended new profile with 1mm thick waste metal, It is not like factory, but nobody see it and it works :)
Little hammering,cutting and welding...
DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

And then primer
DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

And colour
DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

It was lot of work to install sealing, but now windows are like new :)
DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

I had to try front bumper to have better view how white parts are fitting:

I'm really happy for the result.

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

Sliding door is fitting quite well also :)
DSC_0049.jpg

A brilliant thread, Kalle. Thanks for the pointer from Facebook.

Lovely work and perfect inspiration for my (Chrome Yellow) late bay.

Latest posts