front chassis/front beam attachment

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Hopefully I'm not going to annoy people by asking for constant advice. I'm just starting to restore my 1970 Devon. I've owned it for about 10 years but its been laid up for 7 however due to getting married and having kids I've only just got the time to start it! my plan is to start at the front of the van and work towards the rear welding in new steel where needed. The left hand chassis rail is corroded where the front bean attaches (around the "U" shaped cut out) to the point where i poked my finger through it. Is this area repairable by fabricating the pieces from 2mm sheet or is the general consensus that it is better to source a piece of chassis cut from a doner van? also, are there any recommendations for suppliers of new side plates for front beams as I think the ones on my beam have had it?

I think if you ask five people then you might have five different answers. I think I’d be looking for a chassis cut from a Californian type bus and a second hand beam because of the amount of work in re making a beam. Don’t worry about asking too many questions, because nobody knows everything and it takes seconds just to give your opinion. Anyhow welcome and ask away. :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,another Devon,,, brill yunt. :mrgreen:

That metalwork on the chassis under the beam actually isn't too bad. it's 3mm steel, but there's a slight joggle in it around the profile of the beam end plates. That's re-inforced from behind by another 3mm plate (which comes up from the bottom). If you take a look at the below photos you should be able to figure out what's going on. Pretty flat, so shouldn't be too bad, eh!?
Pictures courtesy of Ozzydog's old parts van- Rest in pieces, Madonna.

WQGAQN8.jpg

U4oJMDC.jpg

Beam-wise... Go for a stock beam unless you want to go really narrow and are willing to either do without shock absorbers or do some creative engineering with rotary jobs. Do not skip thinking about damping, it's super duper important.

Thanks, I'm going to take the beam out this weekend and have a proper look at it if the weather is kind. I'll post some pictures if I do!

Latest posts