Front panel: repair or replace?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcvw

Reaction score
Hi,

Been to see my bus at the restorers (Kultklassix, Chiddingfold) this evening and since Bazza started cutting things back/out it looks like a complete front panel is required.

- The top lip of the panel where the bottom of the front screen/rubber sits has totally gone in places - and the seam has blown.
- It's unknown what condition the inner panel is like - but if the seams are blown, this could mean the inner panel may also need replacing.
- The grill hasn't been removed yet, so it's unknown what lies beneath this.
- The lower arc'd sections of the headlight bowl need cutting out and replacing.
- The bottom half of the panel needs the lower outer section and most of the inner panel (beneath indicators etc).

I know it's possible to get the repair sections/new panels for all the above areas, but the front would end up a bit like a patchwork quilt. Not to mention how much it would cost in terms of time (£'s per hour) to cut all the bits out and replace.

So... given the amount of repairs that are required, would it be more effective in terms of cost (and strength/shape?) to get a complete front panel? If so, who makes the best one? Are the new front panels faithful to the original panels shape/contours?

I assume all new front panels are "late" and require the indicators/badge sorting too.

Thank you,

Mike

If the inner panel and airbox are rusted why not consider A 2 nd hand rust free clip. Will be better gauge steel than a new repro panel

I wouldn't rule it out - I just thought they would be too expensive - and maybe a little unknown, i.e. can you really tell what the inners are like on a cut clip?

I have a lower front cut (which came with my bus), which has the lower panels and the front steps, so I was thinking Bazza would probably use that/or most of it, in conjunction with a replacement front panel.

Dunno... :|

I patch repaired my front panel, as repro panels don't fit properly and a complete front clip would have been overkill.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5562&start=100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D
You never know until you start cutting.....

Wow! Some serious work going on with your bus. Top stuff!!!

I didn't have my camera with me last night so can't remember accurately, but I think that on my bus the lip that the windscreen sits on is in a similar condition (but probably slightly worse) as that of your "cut section" (below).

apillars037.jpg

Would it be worthwhile repairing only the channel (scuttle?) section of the windscreen area? Is there a replacement panel for this?

I must admit, this panel looks the biz... What's it like shape/profile/metal-thickness? Is it from VW Heritage?

frontpanel008.jpg

When you attached the above panel, how much of the inner lip is required for a solid join? Yours looks totally gone in places? Does this mean the windscreen rubber would only fit over the new repro panel section?

frontpanel007.jpg

Something I'm concerned with (maybe wrongly) about patching the front panel - as opposed to a full panel - is panel distortion & use of filler on such a prominent part of the bus. I mean, if somebody was to lean on the "patched" front panel, could it flex and the filler crack etc? Or am I worrying excessively?? :?:

Thanks,

Mike

If done properly shouldn't flex with someone leaning on it. I was just trying to steer you away from a complete repro front panel, as quality is poor, and gauge is steel slightly thinner than og. There's not much crash protection up front, so what ever you do make sure no rot remaining!!!!

I cheapo repro full panel will be like having a biscuit tin lid to protect you knees in a crash.

I bought a full front panel from VW Heritage and cut repair sections off it to suit. It's not too bad although it is a tiny bit smaller than the original and a bit thinner.
There was enough windscreen lip on the cut panel to enable a few spotwelds along the opening. I was a bit disappointed with the condition of the cut, but only got it to replace the rotten A pillars as any replacement panels don't go very high up the pillars.
There is a windscreen repair section available too, but it's not much cheaper than a full front panel and I got the headlamp bowls replaced out of it as well.
The repairs were lap welded for a bit more strength and to reduce distortion, with a skim of filler it's looks OK.
I've given up on the concours competition entry though....... :lol:

Cheers sparkywig & uber cool,

I love concourse buses, but they're too impractical for me ;) I love a slammed n tweaked bus :)

I'd like to think of my bus resto as more "sympathetic" - i.e. keep original where it makes sense (financially & practically) - else, replace it with new.

Mike

I'm not into concour either. Just with the front end think safety. Crashworthyness is White without a load of filler or cheap brazilian metal.
Anyway offer to shift your wheel to ant still stands if you can get the wheel to north london?

Thanks again for the offer. Ant & I have been saving our pennies and I think we're gonna "parcel2go" them :lol:

had the same dialema the other week i got the window repair section and when i cut it out had a good look in side and could tell it was just the outer that had gone, and where i had cut out i could put por 15 on the inner panel, my main concern was the dents in the front but 2 hours with my body man and a bit of lead and a skim of filler and we are looking good 8) . my body man said if it dosent look right put the spare back on the front,I said you can have another hour on it and i will put the kettle on again.

Latest posts