• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

front wheel arches

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty1

Reaction score
Hi all,
Im looking to replace the complete front arches on my 1970 bay.
trying to decide the best way to go.
noticed from old posts Klassicfab arche being mentioned,has anyone fitted these yet?
or is it still better to try and get rust free originals from ? suggestions would be most helpful.

cheers Russ

I've got some but they won't be fitted for at least a month due to all the other work.

I did find this a while ago:

'However we have fitted Klassic Fab arches to a customers van in the past, along with a KF cab floor. Bought them through Musclebus and took a while to arrive but when they did they were pretty good. Much better than the black panel rubbish we've all had to use in the past. I did find that the N/S arch was a little out of shape but this appeared to have been down to travel damage rather than manufacture error. It is extremely useful that they are sold in two halves (inner and outer) because you can coat the whole thing with plenty of paint before assembly meaning it should last a nice long while. One thing worth noting, make sure ALL the green paint if completely clear of the edges you are welding, unlike most of the black repro panels where any trace left of the black prior to welding burns away easily, the green likes to get involved. Christ knows what sort of paint it is but it certainly doesn't like to have a welder put anywhere near it.'

Hope it helps

I would definately say do not get the cheap black repos (Klonkenholm) ones. I did this, wasted £160 +/- and A LOT of my time. Someone told me that arches are the hardest part to fit.

I ended up tracking down original cuts for £250 an arch. You might be in the fortunate position that as we are nearing the summer months, a lot of the importers had or were having their units sent over. Do a search for a thread I started asking for wheel arches (in this section - might even still be on the first page). I am sure I posted who was expecting some arches in May. Also, VW Evolution (who I got mine from at Volksworld), had around 3 or 4 left side arches left. Might get you started?

I have also heard good things about Klassic Fab panels. Whilst they not might be 100%, I bet they are sure as hell better than the cheap repos.

For what it is worth, you do only have three options, cheap repos, Klassic Fab or original cuts/NOS. There was a left hand side NOS one on here and I think the Samba for 450 euro. He was also firm on the price when I contacted him.

If I were you (and me again), go for cuts if you can find them, or if that fails, Klassic Fab.

EDIT: Oh, and all I did was get one of the camper mags and phone every single company in it. I only found one right hand side arch. Made me feel that I found the only right side arch in europe :shock:

cool thank for the advice lads,think ill try for the originals first then.
start my phone calls tomorrow ;)

Have a look on Bus ok, website has 1 but alot of money. He was at VoWo show with it, they are getting incredibly rare which unfortunately now means elevated price.... Not sure if link will work but give it a try.... Ben

http://have-a-nice-bay.nl/product_info.php?products_id=7472" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He was the guy I contacted about the price and he was firm on it. To be honest, as there is only one, and it is the left side I wouldn't dream of paying that much. There are left side cuts around for nearly half that money. Ok, so you spend a day and a few quid cleaning it up, but still a lot cheaper.

I recently went through Volks heaven got a pair for £350, so from what your looking for I think I was lucky, give them a call you never know.

Well after much phoning around with no joy,i have ordered the Klassic Fab arches,due in 2 to 3 weeks.
will post how i get on with them.

Russ

Latest posts