Sitting issues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziedog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just had a bit of a tussle with storm Antony on the weekend, hence I’m after a few replacements. I need another gazebo, but I’ll stick with buying cheapo plastic ones as it seems the latest versions of the various storm groups have a very nasty habit of turning the wind direction around in the middle of the night and coming in from the vulnerable side and avoiding the protection of the van. Now that’s just damned sneaky I think .
The other thing that I’m really after a bit of help with is my camp chair. I had a rather nice padded tub style collapsing type chair that had been repaired and repaired as bolts and rivets had fallen out over the years. Well it’s had its last collapso recently with me in it. The big issue with some or maybe most of these chairs is that my age now requires me to lean on the handles on the front as I rise which ends up breaking them wherever the last rivet was punched through the frame. So I may have to get a chair on OAP riser blocks or go for something else. I’ve got a gravity chair as well already and that’s fine and has been repaired equally as many times as the tub chair but is still punching well above his weight.
So what chairs are recommended by you guys ?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,good suggestions and I’ll try a piccie.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/foldi...5_1691530086_93c5001e9f641a6543ee81bd0cf1937b
When I was on holiday in France last year, I also had an incident with my folding chair. Despite having VW print3d on it unfortunately it collapsed. 🤨🤨 This meant a trip to a Decathlon store, as they seem to be all over France. I bought the one in the link above and have to say although it’s not cheap it’s very sturdy and comfortable.

Just had a bit of a tussle with storm Antony on the weekend, hence I’m after a few replacements. I need another gazebo, but I’ll stick with buying cheapo plastic ones as it seems the latest versions of the various storm groups have a very nasty habit of turning the wind direction around in the middle of the night and coming in from the vulnerable side and avoiding the protection of the van. Now that’s just damned sneaky I think .
The other thing that I’m really after a bit of help with is my camp chair. I had a rather nice padded tub style collapsing type chair that had been repaired and repaired as bolts and rivets had fallen out over the years. Well it’s had its last collapso recently with me in it. The big issue with some or maybe most of these chairs is that my age now requires me to lean on the handles on the front as I rise which ends up breaking them wherever the last rivet was punched through the frame. So I may have to get a chair on OAP riser blocks or go for something else. I’ve got a gravity chair as well already and that’s fine and has been repaired equally as many times as the tub chair but is still punching well above his weight.

Ozziedog, what happened to your Lidl chair you had a DATC ?

Paul.

The new Lidl chair didn’t last the whole weekend. It seemed great I wasn’t quite sure about the style but it was comfy as etc etc. The chair cover and padding comes off completely, so you fold the frame up then wrap the cover around the frame to pack it away in its bag, all worked fine. When you got it out you just plonked out the frame and pulled it into position and it has four prongs with large plastic T pieces type knobs on. The cover and padding had a reinforced envelope in each corner stitched on three sides that you just plonked over the knobs and the cover was on . Sat down and it was comfy as etc etc. One or two initial little niggles was that it was perhaps a tiny bit too reclined and I forgave that because it was so comfy and the other was, as you got out of the chair the cover would sometimes come off the knobs and you had to reposition it if you noticed, if you didn’t notice, you were sitting in a chair held up on three corners. I’m guessing that is what flumped one of the envelopes as one had come completely unstitched. One other little thing in common with a lot of other chairs is that it was a tad low and so I was wriggling to get to the front and get out of it and that may not have helped as I am with age now using more pushing with my arms to get out of most camp style chairs. Maybe they’d last longer if I just sat still but in reality that rarely happens. I’m usually up and down messing with tunes, up and down messing with fire wood and sparks and every so often I might get up for a beer. I know a young lady in the family that has an almost identical chair but not from Lidl and it’s lasted her almost ten years of camping although she rarely gets out of it once she’s parked.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,SO? What do I get next, a little higher praps?:););):)

I have Anderws-Maclaren "Gadabout" light-weight folding camping chairs, bought in the late-1970s

2400559.jpg

2400557.jpg

2400555.jpg

I have recently seen examples of these, in various colour stripes (i.e. brown & white, red & white, green & white and blue & white) listed on British E-bay, at asking prices of circa £55 each.

https://www.pineappleretro.co.uk/products/vintage-1970s-gadabout-chair-walking-stick-brown

Try Angling suppliers. They normally have a good range of heavy duty chairs at prices ranging from £60-150.

Granite

Saturday morning.

View attachment 6322 Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,after a bit of a clear up :)
Oh my god @ozzie. You weren't injured or no damage to the bus was there ? That storm was fierce. As for chairs how about a moon chair with really comfy thick cushion. They are a bit pricey i think but they look good. Or what about a good quality inflatable sofa/chair ? As for a gazebo im sure there is a company called Coleman and you can get your bus under there too like an events gazebo but im sure they do all sizes 🙂🤙.

I have Anderws-Maclaren "Gadabout" light-weight folding camping chairs, bought in the late-1970s

2400559.jpg

2400557.jpg

2400555.jpg

I have recently seen examples of these, in various colour stripes (i.e. brown & white, red & white, green & white and blue & white) listed on British E-bay, at asking prices of circa £55 each.

https://www.pineappleretro.co.uk/products/vintage-1970s-gadabout-chair-walking-stick-brown
Nigel, they look funky as funk, with all due respect, I think once in , I’d never get out again. They do look like collectibles now.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, don’t think they’d see a weekend out with me. :)

Try Angling suppliers. They normally have a good range of heavy duty chairs at prices ranging from £60-150.

Granite
Are you psychic or something???

I trawled all sorts of camping types of chairs and most had at least one issue but could easily be forgiven, then I spotted some heavy duty carp fisherman type chairs and they look to be about as tough as you’re gonna get and,,,,, and and and they have adjustable legs to raise them a tad for old donkeys like me. So that was exactly what I bought and it should be delivered by the weekend. I’ll be trying it out on the patio first off, possibly with a nice New Zealand Sauvignon :cool:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, I’ll get a piccie when it’s here.:)

Oh my god @ozzie. You weren't injured or no damage to the bus was there ? That storm was fierce. As for chairs how about a moon chair with really comfy thick cushion. They are a bit pricey i think but they look good. Or what about a good quality inflatable sofa/chair ? As for a gazebo im sure there is a company called Coleman and you can get your bus under there too like an events gazebo but im sure they do all sizes 🙂🤙.

Just you wait until you actually get out to camp with us. Those fireplace thingys Chuck sparks out every which way and theyd sort out an inflatable in minutes or maybe less. I’ve just replaced my gazebo with an identical one for thirty quid. They don’t cost a fortune for a 99% watertight one so long as you’re ok with assembling it. I’ve had three or more of the same type and usually they’ll weather a big storm but the wind turned around completely in the early hours of the morning whilst I was still incapacitated. That’s the second one that I’ve lost to a flippin storm. Anyway, I’ve ordered a fat blokes fishing chair and I’m hoping itll stand the strain, seems to be one of the toughest types out there.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,don’t break nuffink for ages,,,,then ,,,,,f#”&+/#:)

Just you wait until you actually get out to camp with us. Those fireplace thingys Chuck sparks out every which way and theyd sort out an inflatable in minutes or maybe less. I’ve just replaced my gazebo with an identical one for thirty quid. They don’t cost a fortune for a 99% watertight one so long as you’re ok with assembling it. I’ve had three or more of the same type and usually they’ll weather a big storm but the wind turned around completely in the early hours of the morning whilst I was still incapacitated. That’s the second one that I’ve lost to a flippin storm. Anyway, I’ve ordered a fat blokes fishing chair and I’m hoping itll stand the strain, seems to be one of the toughest types out there.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,don’t break nuffink for ages,,,,then ,,,,,f#”&+/#:)
Ooh right 🙂.. Ahh sparks and inflatables wont mix then ha. Still i would have my trusty ol duct tape at the ready always for repairs 😁😆. Sounds good about the gazebo though. Wow i have literally just remembered i have got a collapsible gazebo in the shed with side curtains i think. Thats my awning sorted ha. im sure the chair will be perfectly fine Oz. 🙂🤙

Got whacked by a big storm in Polzeth whilst camping a couple of years ago. Fortunately my Kayam air awning did a great job and just buckled and popped back. Did have to re-peg a few times during the night. The posh Berghaus ( other makes are available) tents etc went in the bin the day after.

All the air beams on the site did well that night primarily because they are very flexible as you said and partly because they were closed all round. My plan was to put my van in the path of the wind allowing me to site the gazebo on the leeward side and guy down accordingly. This worked fine until the wind shifted direction in the early hours and caught me unawares and that as they say was that.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,I’ve been caught like that before :)

The worst weather we had was at Dent for the music festival in 2012. Hadn’t had the van very long then. My wife and younger daughter and I attempted to set up the awning whilst the storm was raging, and a gust of wind lifted it up and snapped one of the joints! It was a khayam’quick’ erect awning. So that was game over. The complication was that we had arranged to pick up our older daughter at the train station a few miles away at a remote spot. To get there we had to drive through narrow flooded lanes and stop and move rocks out of the way regularly.
Fortunately there was a lovely couple at the old station house who invited us in for tea and homemade scones, as we were pretty fed up by this point 😅 The train was delayed by an hour due the bad weather but eventually she arrived and we then drove the three hours together back home! Not a fun day.

Ozzie, we got our "Bivvy Loo " from an angling web site. So small and so easy to use. Specially for us oldies.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Takes up no space at all, just like the fire pit fire thing.:)

J & P
:D:D:D

Latest posts