Front wheel bearings

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logicred

Reaction score
Just in the process of fitting dropped spindles and just putting hub back on. The old bearing and hub seal still intact. As I tried to push it back on the new spindle it got stuck and as I pulled the hub off the bearings were left sitting on the spindle. I got them off and pushed them back into the hub but there now appears to be a metal ring which came from somewhere. I think it might be from the hub seal underneath? Is there anyway to get it back in? When I push the bearing there does seem to be quite a bit of movement going in and out of the hub, is this normal? :

20140512_161725.jpg

Logicred,

The spring type ring in your picture is a retaining ring that fits on the inside of the oil seal , there is a lip on the inside diameter of the seal and the purpose of the ring is to maintain contact of the sealing lip onto the shaft.
You might be lucky and be able to prize out the seal and refit the seal ring, but chances are it will get damaged so it might be just as easy to replace it, they are not that expensive.

As far as I can remember, the bearings both inner and outer are taper bearings and any play will be taken up when the drum is assembled onto the stub axle and the large washer and nut are threaded on and adjusted correctly.

Mike

Thanks for that Mike ;-)

yackaboo said:
Logicred,

The spring type ring in your picture is a retaining ring that fits on the inside of the oil seal , there is a lip on the inside diameter of the seal and the purpose of the ring is to maintain contact of the sealing lip onto the shaft.
You might be lucky and be able to prize out the seal and refit the seal ring, but chances are it will get damaged so it might be just as easy to replace it, they are not that expensive.

As far as I can remember, the bearings both inner and outer are taper bearings and any play will be taken up when the drum is assembled onto the stub axle and the large washer and nut are threaded on and adjusted correctly.

Mike

Latest posts