Fuel cut off solenoid.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frisco69

Reaction score
I fitted one of these today http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330354244425&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should I use an in line fuse? Nothing is mentioned in the fitting instructions but I think it should have one.
If it needs one can anyone advise as to what rating would be required?

Cheers!

Matt.

I would certainly fit a fuse to any add-on, especially on ethat's connected to fuel lines. These draw 1.5W when activated, so say 4W as it opens, i.e. around 3 amps max. So a 5A fuse should be fine.

BJ1 said:
I would certainly fit a fuse to any add-on, especially on ethat's connected to fuel lines. These draw 1.5W when activated, so say 4W as it opens, i.e. around 3 amps max. So a 5A fuse should be fine.

Thanks for the reply. I'll put a fuse in tomorrow. :)

Matt.

ant said:
we had a group buy on these a few weeks back... has anyone fitted one yet
Not yet, planning on fitting it soon though.
Going to wire it up via a relay and either an independant switch or just from a switched ignition wire

I've located mine above the gearbox. There is just enough room for it between the original fuel line clips.
I also fitted a filter between the tank outlet and solenoid. And I used a switch on the dash which is connected to an ignition live.
I was suprised how long it took for the engine to cut out after switching it off, about 2 mins at idle. Still atleast if the van does get stolen it shouldn't get very far before it conks out. Assuming it's driven away of course.

I would be interested to see other installations to see if mine can be improved upon as I would have preferred to make up a bracket for a more secure install.

Matt.

Frisco69 said:
I've located mine above the gearbox. There is just enough room for it between the original fuel line clips.
I also fitted a filter between the tank outlet and solenoid. And I used a switch on the dash which is connected to an ignition live.
I was suprised how long it took for the engine to cut out after switching it off, about 2 mins at idle. Still atleast if the van does get stolen it shouldn't get very far before it conks out. Assuming it's driven away of course.

I would be interested to see other installations to see if mine can be improved upon as I would have preferred to make up a bracket for a more secure install.

Matt.

Did you take in pics of the installation Matt, would be good to make a visual comparison between peoples installs before i fit mine

ant said:
Frisco69 said:

Matt.

Did you take in pics of the installation Matt, would be good to make a visual comparison between peoples installs before i fit mine

No I didn't Ant but I'll get some pics this week as I need to do an oil change so will take some then!

I put one on when I had the gearbox out, and replaced all the fuel lines. It will have a security switch hidden away soon.

Image0276.jpg

Mine is fitted just inside the bulkhead with a filter before it then metal pipe to the pump. I am going to replace all the hose with marine grade and ditch the metal pipe as it just means more joins and therefore potential to leak is increased.

having a chat with the bloke who will/would be fitting mine. he's questionning the point of it ...... something to do with having a mechanical fuel pump so the fuel is stopped anyway??? (or at least i think thats what he said - i could be misquoting him).

hipshaker said:
having a chat with the bloke who will/would be fitting mine. he's questionning the point of it ...... something to do with having a mechanical fuel pump so the fuel is stopped anyway??? (or at least i think thats what he said - i could be misquoting him).
Suppose it depends why you are fitting it? Safety or security?

For security you could just wire up the existing solenoid on the carb to a switch, this would do the same. Assuming you have the original carb still fitted.

hipshaker said:
Starting to think the same thing. Haven't wired mine and thinking it might just be easier to fit a switch in the circuit to the coil and have my own little immobiliser system (which is all i was going to use the fuel solenoid for anyway).
Lets face facts, in the aftermath of a crash the last thing your going to think about is whether or not you switched the solenoid off.

hipshaker no u haven't

IIRC the mech pump could still pass fuel - the point is that if the lines are ruptured beyond the tank but before the pump - quite commonly too...then the gravity effect of the tank bottom being virtually inline with the top of the engine means the tank will simply drain into the hot engine area....

in a engine fire situation say a spit back through the carb, you may realise fairly quickly BUT the fuel line before the pump could have already been compromised by the time you pull over [ see above tank emptying! ] so a solenoid will help control the amount of fuel that is available to remain alight...I also think that I could put out an engine fire if it was just a carb full of fuel in there.....

I also think that a lot of modern car electric pumps are also this unit combined?

so it doubles as a safety device and a security one if connected to the most basic of immobilsers...I have done 2...I'll take pics and post sat

Agree with dubdubz - I'm going to get one fitted just in case of fire etc for the reasons he mentions - A handy security device too!

sorry to anyone waiting for pics.......I have been nursing the mother of all hangovers today....I may pop up in the morning to my bus and take a couple of pics.........

I made a bracket that fits on the clutch flexible conduit bolts that are on the gearbox.

Latest posts