Fuel Gauge Advice Needed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wellsy

Reaction score
I'm after tips on how "NOT" to run out of fuel. The fuel gauge on my Dormie does not register. I have had
the actual gauge tested and this seems to be ok. I've been told it is more likely to be a dodgy sender unit.
As you will be well aware not a straight forward or inexpensive fix. So has anyone else experienced this very annoying
problem, and if so, how do you get around it. Thanks in anticipation, Col. :cry:

does nothing happen at all when you turn your ignition on or is there slight movment

ok first off simple things check the two wires running into the gauge that they havent come lose on there pins then the next step for me was to open up the clocks to get to the gauge and re-soldered the wire back to the board and that was job done

Wellsy said:
Nothing at all, the needle is actually off the gauge at full.
there should be a grommet with a wire
comming out of it on the right hand side under the tank.This goes into a spade connecter unplug this and your gauge should read 0 (sender wants changing)if its still reading full then its your gauge or wire earthing out.give the gauge a tap just to make sure the needles not stuck first

As for tips for not running out of fuel, here are some things you can try, they may or may not work.

1. dip stick in the tankk? i dont think this will work due to the shape of the pipe in to the tank.

2. A mate of mine had the same problem, he used to get on a hil, shut the engine off and all noise, slam on the brakes and listen to the swishing in the tank, this was on a Bug mind so was fairly easy to do!

3. write your curent speedo milage down, fill the tank, and see how far you get before running out!

I would try and get the guage fixed though.

Mark

If the gauge is reading full then either your sender is stuck in the full position or the wire between the sender unit and the gauge is earthing out somewhere.
Disconnect the wire from the sender unit (small terminal block towards the right hand side of the engine just infront of the firewall) and see if the gauge reads empty, if so then get a peice of wire and run it from the terminal block directly to the back of your gauge if the gauge reads full then your sender is knackered if it reads a true value (the amount of fuel in your tank) then the wire is earthing out somewhere and needs re-wiring.

If it is the sender - its worth dimantling it to see whats wrong, its pretty sensitive stuff in there but it can be cleaned up if careful.

Thanks for the advice and tips guys, will try and sort out the sender, as i think this will be the probable cause,
really did'nt want an "engine out" scenario. Oh well such is an early bayers life. :cry:

Latest posts