Fuel Gauge not registering

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haveacamper

Reaction score
Ok Guys,

i have read a few fuel gauge issues on here w.r.t fuel gauge problems but havent found the answer unfortunately.

i have a fuel gauge that worked with an early bay style fuel sender (the cylinder type). i now have a fuel tank with a latebay fuel sender (the lifting pivot arm type). the fuel gauge is not workingwith the later style sender and i am wondering whether it is because of my wiring or because fo the different fuel sender resistance range.

my thinking is that the resistance range would be the same otherwise there would be a difference between the the early and late fuel gauge on instrument panels - which i am unaware of if the do in fact exist.

the gauge itself does work cos when i accidently wired it up worng the needle flicked straight up to full. when i put the ignition on the needle doesnt even move from rest.

Nathan

Haveacamper said:
my thinking is that the resistance range would be the same otherwise there would be a difference between the the early and late fuel gauge on instrument panels - which i am unaware of if the do in fact exist.

Nathan

There is a difference in an early and late fuel gauge, cant remember what exactly but recall something to do with the late style having an regulator.....

20 seconds with google got me this:

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/fuel_ga.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.type2.com/library/misc/vwggauge.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

;)

Haveacamper said:
mmm bit lost :shock:

You've got both types of sender haven't you? try measuring their resistance at min & max to see what happens? think they will be different.
looks like you may need to mix & match!!

i've got the late type fitted in the tank now, and I think i have the early one in the knackered fuel tank ye. suppose i gcould hook up the old tank to the gauge as you said to see if its the sender? just cant face taking the engine out.....AGAIN lol

Latest posts