Fuel leak, help please.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustydiver

Reaction score
Gota smell of fuel, had a look in the engine bay no leaks coming from fuel lines, been replaiced in the last 6mths, but have found fuel dripping from the Inlet manifold rubber boot, looks cracked and perrished, wet to touch and smells of fuel.
The van is a 1.6 tp engine, crossover model.

Should it leak from here?
Needs to be replaiced, do i need to take the engine out to peplace?
Got a spare set in the garage, for some reason! would it be better to replaice with urethane type ones?
If its engine out, can i have an idiots guide for remove on a crosser van please, Cos im an idiot.

Cheers Rustyd.

No they shouldnt leak, replacement can be done without removing engine but it is very fiddly, stock rubber ones should be ok.
You basically need to be able to move the manifold to the left to remove & refit new rubbers on both sides, so you will need to loosen manifold ends on heads or remove them (you may get away with only removing left hand one), undo the pre-heat pipes from exhaust, remove carb off manifold(iirc) there is also a bolt holding manifold to case between the fuel pump & gen/alt stand that needs to be loosened. Cant remember if I took the fuel pump off as well - would almost certainly make it easier though.

Loxy said:
No they shouldnt leak, replacement can be done without removing engine but it is very fiddly, stock rubber ones should be ok.
You basically need to be able to move the manifold to the left to remove & refit new rubbers on both sides, so you will need to loosen manifold ends on heads or remove them (you may get away with only removing left hand one), undo the pre-heat pipes from exhaust, remove carb off manifold(iirc) there is also a bolt holding manifold to case between the fuel pump & gen/alt stand that needs to be loosened. Cant remember if I took the fuel pump off as well - would almost certainly make it easier though.

spot on as the man says! did mine this afternoon. got away with only removing left hand manifold end.

Loxy said:

Cheers Matt, going to have a go this weekend at replacing them. Just what i wanted to hear, not having to remove the engine.

Stock black ones seem to be crap quality these days and really dont last very long at all. Go for the ugly redsilicone ones as these do last, alternativelylook on the samba as someone on there is producing some super strong ones, not cheap but a good investment

As its an early bay its just as quick to whip engine out if you are able to, Thats if you know bumper bolts are good, when replacing a nice liberal dose of copper clip on valance and bumper bolts wont go amiss

Latest posts