Fumes in the bus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardAlexander

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Westfalia
i seem to be getting some fumes getting inside the bus, i was outside doing some bits and pieces on the engine and left the engine running to check it out, noticed the Carbon monoxide alarm going off, opened the sliding door to the distinctive smell of exhaust fumes. all windows were shut the wheel well has the plugs in so how did it get inside???? :?

i did slightly knock the exhaust while reversing in Cornwall ( damn pesky low cobble stone walls ) but it all looks good

Yeah I'd agree, it is most likely heat exchangers, they may look ok on the otuside but be rotten inside.

Its worth having a good check round of the exhaust first before spending some dosh though!

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/043298250/heat-exchanger-deluxe-kit-63-pair-fit-kits-hose/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Remember you get a 5% discount on everything with us too being a Forum member!

the exchangers are only 3 years old but one has become disconnected from the control cable. oh what joy they are to get off and check, oh and smell is only in the back of the bus and slowly creaps foward the longer its running, driving with the blowers running no smell only when im still

Were you in the garage? Could it just be the exhaust gases getting into the vents, through the fan housing, through the exchangers and then out through the walkthrough vent??

no parked outside

it weird sitting in traffic, smelly, driving along, fine,

im borrowing a mate flexi camera gonna look inside the heat exchanger :(

The air intake for the engine to blow through the heat exchangers is at the back of the fan housing right by the head exhaust output, if you reversed into something you may have damaged where the heat ex bolts to the head perhaps?
Would smell stationary but prob not on the move due to the amount of air blowing around that area.
My 2p anyway.

Heat exchangers - check the join between the heat exchangers and the pipe - held by a small bracket that comes loose. Check the engine door seal. Also check for any holes in the engine bay that may leak fumes into the cab (mine has had screws put in it!). Also check that he pipes from the heat exchangers under the bus don't have holes in them.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts