gas pipe for propex, electrical wiring questions.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aogrady

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to get my propex fitted soon, and have some questions about the running of the gas pipes and wiring etc.

Gas pipe, i have seen normal gas pipe like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORANGE-GAS-HOSE-PIPE-HIGH-PRESSURE-CARAVAN-CAMPING-NEW-/140508232341?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20b6f17a95" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Copper pipe like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-5-16-copper-pipe-tubing-hose-caravan-motorhome-/140540905191?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item20b8e406e7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And also car lpg conversion use this plastic coated pipe which seems like a good idea:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LPG-grade-copper-gas-pipe-2-meters-x-8mm-R21-/320767050168?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aaf34c1b8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I have also seen this plastic flexable pipe, which is a replacement for the copper pipe

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LPG-8mm-flexible-gas-pipe-kit-replaces-8mm-copper-R61-/320756195619?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aae8f2123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, I am not too sure what i need, I dont even know where to run the gas pipe for the propex, my initial thoughts are to run the gas pipe outside the van, with the gas bottle under the buddy seat, the pipe running along the underneath and back up inside under the rock and roll bed to the propex. I have also a twin gas manifold so i can isolate the propex, and additionally run a pipe up to the westy sink unit, which i am looking to remove the sink unit top and install a 4 burner gas hob and grill. Can't see much need for sink anyway, it's too small to fit anything but junk.

Problems i may have is that being a westy pop top it has the belly pans in place. My thought of running the gas pipe outside i thought it may be best, otherwise would running the pipework under the flooring be ok? It would be much easier that's for sure?

So, if going under the flooring, just copper pipe, or would i be better of with the plastic coated stuff just in case?

Electrical wiring.....Now, if i am running additional wiring for things, best under the flooring also like the gas pipe? And how much do i need, would a 7 core trailer wire be a good idea? Would then have a fair few spares to run other items?

I intend to fit the propex and the electrical mcb 240V fuse box under the rock and roll bed, along with the inverter, and have any plug sockets, battery distribution switches, propex vent and battery indicator exiting on the pull down door area under the bed. This will be fitted into a wooden panel, with the drop down door being removable.

Anybody got any electrical wring suggestions, and gas pipe routing help?

Cheers,

Alistair

plastic coated or not ? Personnally i dont think it makes any difference to the pipes at all its just cosmetic copper with or without plastic wont break gas pipe work is thicker walled than water pipe so is very strong i ran mine under the van as i would rather it leak outside than in (just in case) .. if it gets damaged down bellow then so will the underside of van and surely you would hear that?

Hi.
I've got my heater under my R n R bed on the slope. The gas bottle I've got in the spare wheel troff running standard rubber gas pipe.

I've got the air vent just coming out under the seat but recently bought a 'Y' junction. I hope to run this in the old long tube to the front, up the totem pole and onto the windows.

I've got my thermostat just behind me next to the louvered window so I can just reach around.

The only problems I've found was the exhaust pipes coming away from unit and placing them so water doesn't get in. One day it wouldn't work and I found a pipe full of water.

Good kit though and saved me through the winter on many occasions as my bus is my daily runner.

With me being a gas engineer, if you are going to install the pipe under the bus I would use the pipe with the plastic sleeving, this is only because it acts as a mechanical protection incase a rock or something sharpe that hits it.

Hi,

Well after some thought and mocking up some idea's, i have decided to run the gas pipe inside, I am pleased that my gas bottle will fit under the buddy seat, as i didn't want it in the wardrobe, so will run one feed under the flooring across to the sink unit where the gas hob will be, and the other feed along the edge under the floor to the rear for the propex.

Just to work out where to run extra electric wires for additional lighting etc......Maybe inside the wardrobe?

Cheers,

Alistair

Latest posts