Gear shifter HELP

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peachey

Reaction score
Hi I am looking to buy new gear shifter for my 1970 T2, have read lots of posts and am now more confused! Please help, can anyone give me advice on which are the better makes. Many thanks :?

i believe the general consensus is a Gene Berg or CSP.
I have a CSP one and its cracking! although im sure this will be echoed, replace all gear linkage bushes whilst your at it

Gene Berg locking shifter for me - got it direct from the factory in the states.

Fitted it myself and made the world of difference - not cheap but honestly my best aftermarket mod

StuF said:
Gene Berg locking shifter for me - got it direct from the factory in the states.

Fitted it myself and made the world of difference - not cheap but honestly my best aftermarket mod

I just imported 2 Gene Berg locking shifters one for me and one for a mate. Not fitted it yet but it looks the mutts do dars.
I went for Gene berg because of the locking option but csp are also good. Importing a locking shifter isnt cheap, by the time it got to me after import duties, vat and parcel force also hitting me with a handling fee it cost about £495 a shifter. Exchange rates are not what they used to be either. Gene Berg were realy helpful. If you want a "non" locking Gene Berg shifter try Prowagen they usually hold them in stock. Hope this helps. :D

I'm eventually planning on getting a gene berg for myself, however , today I fitted one of those cheap £5 or so quick shifter thingy bobs. It says it can reduce travel by up to 40% , I wouldn't quite agree with that unless your shifter was fooked. I must say though it has made quite a difference, and for only £5 or so it's got to be worth a try even if it improves your shifter by only 5/10%?. I'm happy with the results.

I fitted a vintage speed shifter to mine last year. What a difference. It looks very similar to the original and is cheaper than a Gene Berg shifter.
Had a Berg shifter in my beetle years ago. They are the dogs danglies.

I had a scat shifter fitted to my 1971 bus a few months ago. It wasn't great at first but that was just down to the fitting, I took it back to the mechanic and after a 5minute play it was perfect. No more crunching into reverse like it use to, it's got a lever which you need to pull up for reverse. Plus no more wooden spoon in a bucket, it's a lot tighter.
All in all for £120 I'm happy with it, and it looks good to.

With the Scat Drag Shifter,do you fit the original plate underneath it,or leave it out,and literally bolt the scat straight to the floor?? hope this makes sense!? :shock:

strutt said:
i believe the general consensus is a Gene Berg or CSP.
I have a CSP one and its cracking! although im sure this will be echoed, replace all gear linkage bushes whilst your at it

What he said. Gene Berg Locker for me. All after market shifters (can only speak for the ones I've had Bugpack and Gene Berg) will foul the hand brake handle when you are parked on a hill and need to do a hill start. Don't bother with a bugpack one, mine was great until it literally fell apart on me... whilst driving not funny :?

BARKING MARK said:
StuF said:

I just imported 2 Gene Berg locking shifters one for me and one for a mate. Not fitted it yet but it looks the mutts do dars.
I went for Gene berg because of the locking option but csp are also good. Importing a locking shifter isnt cheap, by the time it got to me after import duties, vat and parcel force also hitting me with a handling fee it cost about £495 a shifter. Exchange rates are not what they used to be either. Gene Berg were realy helpful. If you want a "non" locking Gene Berg shifter try Prowagen they usually hold them in stock. Hope this helps. :D

Just an update. I had a day off today to fit my new Gene Berg shifter and dicovered 2 issues. Issue 1. The cable that runs through the shaft and connects to the T handle button was broken,the nipple had come off [ ouch :lol: ]. Issue 2. The T handle only had 1 grub screw holding it to the shaft, the other was missing, looks like a stripped thread. I havent even fitted it yet !! :evil:
I have emailed Gene Berg re-issues i will update you as to how good their after sales customer service is.

sparkywig said:
Just bolt the shifter to the floor, no shift plate required.

Thanks. reason i ask,i already fitted it without,but still get reverse without the lever. i havent changed the rod bushes yet though,so will do that and then try adjusting it a little......

MrAndyP said:
sparkywig said:

Thanks. reason i ask,i already fitted it without,but still get reverse without the lever. i havent changed the rod bushes yet though,so will do that and then try adjusting it a little......

You're not alone, it's not the bushes or gearshift, but the shite Scat shifter.
It takes a bit of practice to select 2nd without graunching into reverse instead.
There's a thread on thesamba how to modify the flimsy reverse lockout.

sparkywig said:
MrAndyP said:
sparkywig said:

You're not alone, it's not the bushes or gearshift, but the shite Scat shifter.
It takes a bit of practice to select 2nd without graunching into reverse instead.
There's a thread on thesamba how to modify the flimsy reverse lockout.

My original shifter did it too,thought the reverse lockout shifter and new bushes would sort it. The 1st gear and handbrake thing is annoying too,didnt realise this until i fitted it. :wanker:

Ill have a search for that thread,thanks again.

Had Both CSP and Gene Berg which were great but fouled the handbrake in first, so hill starts can be problematic/nerve racking
Now have a vintagespeed which has a bend in shaft similar to original, so can be set nearer to driver and avoid handbrake. Only downside is the crappy locknut arrangement which can loosen over time, so always carry spanners.

Andy

When I first got my bus back from the mechanic it still crunched into reverse while trying to get 2nd and went into reverse without pulling the lever up, I even questioned it on here and was told that's just the way it is. I wasn't happy and it pissed me off so went back to the mechanic and after a little 5min adjustment it's perfect now.
I saw the same thing on samba that sparkywig mentions about doing a bit of DIY on it to make it work, luckily I didn't need to.

Oh just to add I had new bushes etc installed when he fitted the scat shifter.

Stevec said:
Andy

When I first got my bus back from the mechanic it still crunched into reverse while trying to get 2nd and went into reverse without pulling the lever up, I even questioned it on here and was told that's just the way it is. I wasn't happy and it pissed me off so went back to the mechanic and after a little 5min adjustment it's perfect now.
I saw the same thing on samba that sparkywig mentions about doing a bit of DIY on it to make it work, luckily I didn't need to.

Oh just to add I had new bushes etc installed when he fitted the scat shifter.

Ill change the bushes anyway,but ill also try a bit of adjustment too. thanks.

Whatever i do on my Bus,whenever something doesnt quite go right,or to plan......theres always someone,or many others in the same boat!!! :roll:

Having destroyed both Empi and Scat shifters i would avoid these, they work short term but are not great.

I'd go for gene berg, csp or vintage speed all top quality items!

Alex are you saying the scat shifter you sold me a few months back won't last me then?? If so I'll exchange it for a csp one please!

Stevec said:
Alex are you saying the scat shifter you sold me a few months back won't last me then?? If so I'll exchange it for a csp one please!

What he said. Im not sure who at Heritage served me at Dubfreeze.......but wasnt told this when i bought one.

I also found out the other day,when i come to fit my new bushes,id ordered at the same time.........i havent got any bushes,ive been sent the new replacement bits for the bottom of a standard shifter,none of whats needed when fitting a drag shifter.

:roll:

Latest posts