Gear shifter HELP

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other annoying thing ive already mentioned,i never knew that getting first gear,when the handbrake on, is near impossible without smashing your knuckles to bits.......

Ive only had my scat 5 mins,and already think its crap.... :(

MrAndyP said:
The other annoying thing ive already mentioned,i never knew that getting first gear,when the handbrake on, is near impossible without smashing your knuckles to bits.......

I only paid a tenner for mine, to be honest I don't think it's worth that.

sparkywig said:
MrAndyP said:

I only paid a tenner for mine, to be honest I don't think it's worth that.

That makes me feel much better..... :lol:

Never had a problem with my Scat shifter? Had it on bus for a couple of yrs......been well used on roads and drag strips........never had issues with fitment, gear changing etc.........was very pleased with it.
Have upgraded now as i know Scat arent the best on market but cant knock the one i had :)

I borrowed a scat off a mate and I thought it was brilliant. In fact I had an EMPI before it and the scat is worlds better.

I don't think I can justify 500 sheets for what is essentially a gear lever..

Stevec said:
Alex are you saying the scat shifter you sold me a few months back won't last me then?? If so I'll exchange it for a csp one please!

Its a issue of cost, I always offer the range of costs and leave the decsion upto the person buying or ask what budget you have in mind and then go from there.

Steve I can't remember our converstaions but feel free to ring in and ask fro me and we can disscuss things.

Scat are better than empi, but CSP, Vintage speed and gene berg are the best, This is my Personal opinion after using a fair few different ones. This is not company policy, we offer a wide range of shifters at a range of prices to match peoples budget.

MrAndyP said:
Stevec said:
Alex are you saying the scat shifter you sold me a few months back won't last me then?? If so I'll exchange it for a csp one please!

What he said. Im not sure who at Heritage served me at Dubfreeze.......but wasnt told this when i bought one.

I also found out the other day,when i come to fit my new bushes,id ordered at the same time.........i havent got any bushes,ive been sent the new replacement bits for the bottom of a standard shifter,none of whats needed when fitting a drag shifter.

:roll:

I can't say as i wasn't the bloke who served you at the freeze and don't know the conversation had, but as said abaove we offer the range you decide how much you want to spend.

There is no difference in the bush kits for the shift rods. The shift rods stay the same between the stock and performance shifters.

As I have always said if you have an issue feel free to email me [email protected] or preferablly call and ask for me and I can do my best to get things resolved for you.

A post I may miss on a thread is not the best way of getting an issue looked at or resolved.

MrAndyP said:

Anyone having an issue with 1st gear and the hand brake needs to adjust their hand brake.

Your hand brake should not pull miles out of the dash and therefore should not cause any issue with the shifter.

superfunkyfresh said:
I borrowed a scat off a mate and I thought it was brilliant. In fact I had an EMPI before it and the scat is worlds better.

I don't think I can justify 500 sheets for what is essentially a gear lever..

Vintage speed and the CSP shifters are about the £200 mark ;)

I've bought a Bug tech shifter a couple of years ago
not cheap but works real good & very quick shifting!
IMAG0115.jpg

old picture, with 8ball
IMG_9376.jpg

SuperDry had an EMPI shifter fitted when I got it.
It made driving the thing a nightmare, finding first and second was horrific.
I bought a CSP shifter from T2D and after a couple of issues fitting it I have now got it nailed and it's a pleasure to drive.
I've not driven a Gene Berg equipped Bud or Vintage Speed, but have very few negative comments regarding either.

BARKING MARK said:
BARKING MARK said:
StuF said:
Gene Berg locking shifter for me - got it direct from the factory in the states.

Fitted it myself and made the world of difference - not cheap but honestly my best aftermarket mod

I just imported 2 Gene Berg locking shifters one for me and one for a mate. Not fitted it yet but it looks the mutts do dars.
I went for Gene berg because of the locking option but csp are also good. Importing a locking shifter isnt cheap, by the time it got to me after import duties, vat and parcel force also hitting me with a handling fee it cost about £495 a shifter. Exchange rates are not what they used to be either. Gene Berg were realy helpful. If you want a "non" locking Gene Berg shifter try Prowagen they usually hold them in stock. Hope this helps. :D

Just an update. I had a day off today to fit my new Gene Berg shifter and dicovered 2 issues. Issue 1. The cable that runs through the shaft and connects to the T handle button was broken,the nipple had come off [ ouch :lol: ]. Issue 2. The T handle only had 1 grub screw holding it to the shaft, the other was missing, looks like a stripped thread. I havent even fitted it yet !! :evil:
I have emailed Gene Berg re-issues i will update you as to how good their after sales customer service is.

Gene Berg have contacted me and offered to send a replacement with a note to hm customs to stop additional customs charges. Ill update when it arrives. i hope this info will help you make an informed choice. The good locking shifter is the business my mate who i gave the good one to is very happy. :D

Alex VW Heritage said:
MrAndyP said:
Stevec said:

What he said. Im not sure who at Heritage served me at Dubfreeze.......but wasnt told this when i bought one.

I also found out the other day,when i come to fit my new bushes,id ordered at the same time.........i havent got any bushes,ive been sent the new replacement bits for the bottom of a standard shifter,none of whats needed when fitting a drag shifter.

:roll:

I can't say as i wasn't the bloke who served you at the freeze and don't know the conversation had, but as said abaove we offer the range you decide how much you want to spend.

There is no difference in the bush kits for the shift rods. The shift rods stay the same between the stock and performance shifters.

As I have always said if you have an issue feel free to email me [email protected] or preferablly call and ask for me and I can do my best to get things resolved for you.

A post I may miss on a thread is not the best way of getting an issue looked at or resolved.

My post was half in Jest.....I sort of wish i was told they arent very good,i could have spent more. Ive got the thing now,so Ill stick with it,at least till it breaks,or i rip it out the floor and throw it out the window.

I know the shift rods are the same. the packet you have sent me contains,a new shift plate,rubber boot,and a new spring!? Anyway,parts that fit at the bottom of the standard shifter. All these are scrapped when you fit a 'Performance' shifter.

I havent contacted you regarding this,because frankly i cant be arsed to mess about sending them back,for what they cost.

Ill be at Volksworld,if i remember i may bring them with me,and hopefully you can refund me,and can supply me with the guide bushes i need.

Thanks for the reply.

Alex VW Heritage said:
Anyone having an issue with 1st gear and the hand brake needs to adjust their hand brake.

Your hand brake should not pull miles out of the dash and therefore should not cause any issue with the shifter.

Thanks for this,something i also wasnt aware of. My handbrake isnt pulling right out,4/5 clicks maybe,ill try adjusting it though,hoping i can get an happy medium. 8)

MrAndyP said:
Alex VW Heritage said:

Thanks for this,something i also wasnt aware of. My handbrake isnt pulling right out,4/5 clicks maybe,ill try adjusting it though,hoping i can get an happy medium. 8)

That's about right, 6 clicks according to the Bentley.
Don't forget that you need to adjust the rear brakes properly before you start fiddling with the cables at the base of the handbrake lever. This is only to take the slack out of the cables and make sure the equaliser bar is level.

sparkywig said:
MrAndyP said:
Alex VW Heritage said:

That's about right, 6 clicks according to the Bentley.
Don't forget that you need to adjust the rear brakes properly before you start fiddling with the cables at the base of the handbrake lever. This is only to take the slack out of the cables and make sure the equaliser bar is level.

I thought it was,didnt seem out of the ordinary. Well im banging knuckles as i am. so even though its not as recommended,i can still get it to work by knocking a couple of extra clicks off. cheers for the info.

BARKING MARK said:
BARKING MARK said:
StuF said:
Gene Berg locking shifter for me - got it direct from the factory in the states.

Fitted it myself and made the world of difference - not cheap but honestly my best aftermarket mod

I just imported 2 Gene Berg locking shifters one for me and one for a mate. Not fitted it yet but it looks the mutts do dars.
I went for Gene berg because of the locking option but csp are also good. Importing a locking shifter isnt cheap, by the time it got to me after import duties, vat and parcel force also hitting me with a handling fee it cost about £495 a shifter. Exchange rates are not what they used to be either. Gene Berg were realy helpful. If you want a "non" locking Gene Berg shifter try Prowagen they usually hold them in stock. Hope this helps. :D

Just an update. I had a day off today to fit my new Gene Berg shifter and dicovered 2 issues. Issue 1. The cable that runs through the shaft and connects to the T handle button was broken,the nipple had come off [ ouch :lol: ]. Issue 2. The T handle only had 1 grub screw holding it to the shaft, the other was missing, looks like a stripped thread. I havent even fitted it yet !! :evil:
I have emailed Gene Berg re-issues i will update you as to how good their after sales customer service is.

Just to update you on above posts.
Gene Berg have replaced the faulty shifter at No cost to me and considering the distance involved they did it quickly and without fuss. Their after sales customer service has been excellant, there are a few companies here in the UK that could learn alot from them.
If you are thinking of buying a shifter direct from Gene Berg in the USA go ahead...you can buy with confidence that they will look after you.

Latest posts