Gearbox / Clutch parts?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I’m currently restoring my 1968 early bay, replacing some body and chassis parts, having found the previous owner/‘restorer’ had ‘repaired’ the van to a very low standard (in my opinion).
However, having taken out my engine, I found 3 staple shaped bits at the bottom of the inner gearbox. I wonder if anyone can tell me what they are? I have inspected both the inner gearbox and the clutch and cannot see anywhere they might of come from (2p piece for size reference).

Hope someone can help.

Tony

Attachments

• EA6505FE-F500-44CE-882B-A574B37DADB6.jpeg
    EA6505FE-F500-44CE-882B-A574B37DADB6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
Your throw out bearing clips are there and in good order, I can’t remember anything that would require this in that part of the gearbox or clutch assembly in the engine.
Thrown in as little rattling surprise I guess 😄

Just a thought, some pressure plates come with retaining clips that should be removed on fitting and its always 3 .

I would do that just for a laugh, Chuck some extra stuff in where it can’t do any harm and chuckle about the next person finding it. I’m a little weird like that.
Once apron a time I worked night shift in a bakery getting all the loads ready for the van drivers to come in first thing in the morning and wheel them straight onto their vans. It was twenty five bloomers for this shop and fifty sliced white loaves and a zillion rolls of this type and that type , some chocolate eclairs, flapjacks etc etc. This bakery had about forty plus shops that sold their products and usually they had a coffee shop in as well, it was called Mountstephens and they had shops all over the West Country and possibly the fore runner to Greggs. Well one of the things they would get you to do if you finished all your shops loads was an extra little job to finish off with, the other three guys never finished until bang on time but I was a bit greener and dimmer. If it was a great day, you might get to put the chocolate on the eclairs which was one of my favourite things or sometimes fresh cream in the cream slices, but the worst job in the whole place was putting the jam in the donuts. There would be a pile of baskets of donuts everyday about the size of a transit van that needed the jam put in them. Most of the time you’d be staring at a stainless steel sheet on a wall and mind numbingly boring. So you’d reach over to your right and grab a couple of donuts then there were two half inch chromed nozzles a outsix to eight inches long poking out of the stainless panel and you’d shove your donuts on on these two nozzles and at floor level there were two pedals a bit like on a piano, so you’d press each pedal with your feet and give each donut a shot of jam. Next you’d reach over to your left and neatly stack the completed donuts in an empty plastic box , then reach over to the right again. So donut donut,,,, nozzle nozzle,,,, pedal pedal,,,, stack neatly on the left, donut donut,,,, nozzle nozzle,,,, pedal pedal,,,, stack neatly on the left, donut donut,,,, nozzle nozzle,,,, pedal pedal,,,, stack neatly on the left. Ok, so you’ve got the picture and you can only imagine how bored you are when you get to case twenty five and you know there’s gonna be at least another two hundred cases . So eventually you change the routine a tiny bit. Donut donut,,,, nozzle nozzle,,,, pedal pedal,,,, stack neatly to the left, donut donut ,,,, nozzle nozzle ,,,,pedal pedal,,,, stack neatly to the left, then donut donut,,,, nozzle nozzle,,,, pedal pedal,,,, pedal pedal,,,, pedal pedal,,,, pedal pedal,,,, pedal pedal,,,, and very very carefully place in the middle of the case to the left. Then chuckling begins, and giggling starts, and the other guys are doing their stuff and looking at me, What is that guy laughing about? He’s doing the most boring job in here and he’s now laughing his socks off. I’m imagining all the people having coffee and a donut in one of the Mountstephens coffee shops and they’ve bitten in to one of the donuts and had a jam explosion and there’ll be jam everywhere. So for all the peeps that had this happen to them, it was me.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,this was a long time before the record tooooo:)

Thank you guys, especially Ozziedag’s recollections of his ways to make a boring job a little more interesting (it did make me laugh).
I’ll ignore these small metal bits when putting my engine back in.
Once again, thanks for your very good advice.
Tony

Clutches with the three fingers were preloaded so as not to distort when bolting to the flywheel. The clips fitted under the fingers and held the preload until it was bolted to the flywheel, and should have been removed after fitting.

Latest posts