Gearbox Release Bearing Sleeve? Required or not?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seamus1982

Reaction score
Evening,

Update:

Does the early bay CA code gearbox require the release bearing guide sleeve? If not, would having this sleeve on cause the clutch/flywheel to seize once releasing the clutch?

I swapped out my gearbox as it was knocking. I bought a second hand one to put in while mine is off being rebuilt.
Gearbox turned freely and seemed fine when I fitted it.

Anyway, refitted everything, started her up with clutch in and all fine. Released the clutch and heard a funny whine and she cut out and wouldn’t even turnover when I tried to restart.

Followed all the guidelines in the manuals etc. BUT the replacement box had the bearing sleeve.

I’m thinking when I released the clutch, it or the flywheel have come into contact with the sleeve and jammed, causing the engine to cut out and now not turn over.

What are the thoughts on this?

Ozzie,
I didn’t change the bell housing, but do still have the original.
From research I believe the bearing guide sleeve is for the later clutch type, 70 or 71 onwards. After searching on the forum, I came across a post about clutch’s etc which said, a late type box with sleeve will foul clutch which is where I had got to with my thought process.

I’m going to take the engine back out tonight and see what the story is, but will check the bell housings anyway.

Thanks for your input

For those that may want to know, the answer is do not put a late clutch bearing guide on an early clutch. The spring plate will force itself into the guide sleeve and stop the engine and seize!
Every days a school day. Pulled the engine this evening and found the issue, now need a new pressure/spring plate

Seamus1982 said:
For those that may want to know, the answer is do not put a late clutch bearing guide on an early clutch. The spring plate will force itself into the guide sleeve and stop the engine and seize!
Every days a school day. Pulled the engine this evening and found the issue, now need a new pressure/spring plate

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,bugger!

Latest posts