gearbox upgrade

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crewcab

Reaction score
The dilema is should i stick in a 2 litre box or go for a 1500 bug box or a 03's box?? running a 1600 SP which i think will die if i keep driving on m-ways at 4k+ rpm for hours on end :roll:

you will need a hanger kit direct from oldspeed in the US to run an 1303 box. im not sure tim (roadhouseretro) supplies them anymore.

it contains the longer axles a bowden tube extension, hanger, custom clutch cable and all fixings, cost me $400, i was able to get an AT code from a GT beetle (1303s) for £50. Ill post up pictures and tutorial when i'm ready to fit the box. A good 2L box will cost way more than £300 easily and everybody seems to want one now.

I forgot to mention you will need new CVs for one end of the axle, or there is some sort of adapter you can run (i think).

I'm very interested - if I can jump in here - as I'm also running a standard box/1600sp in a crewcab and would love to swap the box for something more suitable for open roads, as soon as I know which way to go.

Any advice/recommendations greatly appreciated. !

Things to consider when running a 1.6 motor are that if you change the gearing you but more load on the motor and the fan turns slower -potentially not good.

A box with revised gears needs a decent strong motor and / or other mods

Haveacamper said:
How about not driving as fast, thus reducing the engine rpm :) - says he who is putting a 3L porsche engine in :)

:lol: Thats not hypocritical at all :lol:

Westy Richardson said:
Haveacamper said:
How about not driving as fast, thus reducing the engine rpm :) - says he who is putting a 3L porsche engine in :)

I think you'll find that i will be trundling along allowing people to overtake me, unless that said person is a boy racer, split, or if i'm late :)

NaFe

As others have already said, a 1.6 is not powerful enough to run a 2 liter box or any other box with significantly longer ratios, you would spend most of your time in third gear.

On the other hand the stock 1.6 engine does (and has done for many years) run at 4000 rpm on motorways. If it breaks doing this it is faulty and would have failed sooner or later anyway such as when climbing a long hill in third.

If you have an engine capable of running longer gears another option is to fit the crownwheel and pinion assembly for the 1.8 or 2 liter into the 1600 gearbox. Its a straight swap and works fine. The box will be stronger than a beetle box conversion.

well the 03's box is going in, no need for fancy mounts or longer shaft's as they do reach on a lowered bus and the nose mount can be altered to fit the bay mount. People were doing this 10 years ago with no probs.

I think the 1600 single will easly pull the bus along with the box even if i do have to change down a gear or two on those steep hills :lol:

Haveacamper said:
Westy Richardson said:
Haveacamper said:

I think you'll find that i will be trundling along allowing people to overtake me, unless that said person is a boy racer, split, or if i'm late :)

NaFe

:lol: I agree with your thinking

hehe thanks Westy R

there's nothin like asking peoples opinion and then going against everything that people say lol.

like you said if the majority of your driving is going to be along motorways then changing down once or twice wouldnt be too much hassle. when i was running a Type IV 2L with 2L box I still had to change into third when i was going up hills. mind you I live in the Brecon Beacons National Park so its pretty hilly :)

NaFe

Trikky2 said:
If you have an engine capable of running longer gears another option is to fit the crownwheel and pinion assembly for the 1.8 or 2 liter into the 1600 gearbox. Its a straight swap and works fine. The box will be stronger than a beetle box conversion.

That's what has been done to my gearbox. You'll find this is the route that Bears advise opting for.

Des

5erge said:
Trikky2 said:

That's what has been done to my gearbox. You'll find this is the route that Bears advise opting for.

Des

what is the cost though?

Hi guys,

Sorry to use my first post to hijack a thread!
I've got a 69 microbus which needs a gearbox, I've got a 091 2L box for it & I just wondered if the front mount was the same or if I need to mod anything?

Just trying to plan ahead as its in a container on the way from LA now so I can't just have a look under it :D
Cheers,
Kev

Johnny said:
5erge said:
Trikky2 said:

Des

what is the cost though?

Fortunately my gearbox was in good shape. A full strip and inspection/reassembly was £300 + VAT/Labour, then another £375 + VAT/Labour for the 4.57 ring and pinion which gives out 60 mph at 3000rpm.with 70mph at just over 3500 rpm. I had a few other internal components replaced so you are looking at £900 all in.

Des

5erge said:
Fortunately my gearbox was in good shape. A full strip and inspection/reassembly was £300 + VAT/Labour, then another £375 + VAT/Labour for the 4.57 ring and pinion which gives out 60 mph at 3000rpm.with 70mph at just over 3500 rpm. I had a few other internal components replaced so you are looking at £900 all in.

Des

ouch!

if your on a budget then the AT code 03 box + hanger is a much cheaper option @ £300

Latest posts