Gears like stirring porridge - how to improve

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaosnjleach

Reaction score
Hi all. I have just bought a 68 Devon. So far it's had electronic ignition as the condenser packed up, now it's having the dynamo replaced as that packed up as well. While it's in the garage I'd like to get the gear change improved. What are the quick wins? Thanks Jason

Hi Jason,, welcome along ,, I may not be an authority on this, as it`s not something I`ve had to venture into `so far' :msn4: But from reading all the various threads on here, it would seem that most of the Quaker Oats and Readybreck is down to worn bushes in the various parts of the selector linkage, and these seem to produce fantastic results when replaced as it just allows the mechanism to work in the way it was designed. Secondly ,, some have issues with the way the gearstick has been fitted with some sort of adjustment by the plate that holds it all down but that usually applies to aftermarket replacement / improved type gearsticks, these seem to be the most common. Is it a standard gearshift to look at ?? Very occasionally people have reported back , that really poor and or broken rear mounts have added significantly to the porridge issue. The nicest win win situation is to check out these bushes as stock is nearly always the best solution. Someone will be along shortly to tell you all the proper things to check and I believe there are bushes at each end of the selection process as well.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Good luck and no more stirring :mrgreen:

Hi Jason,, welcome along ,, I may not be an authority on this, as it`s not something I`ve had to venture into `so far' :msn4: But from reading all the various threads on here, it would seem that most of the Quaker Oats and Readybreck is down to worn bushes in the various parts of the selector linkage, and these seem to produce fantastic results when replaced as it just allows the mechanism to work in the way it was designed. Secondly ,, some have issues with the way the gearstick has been fitted with some sort of adjustment by the plate that holds it all down but that usually applies to aftermarket replacement / improved type gearsticks, these seem to be the most common. Is it a standard gearshift to look at ?? Very occasionally people have reported back , that really poor and or broken rear mounts have added significantly to the porridge issue. The nicest win win situation is to check out these bushes as stock is nearly always the best solution. Someone will be along shortly to tell you all the proper things to check and I believe there are bushes at each end of the selection process as well.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Good luck and no more stirring :mrgreen:

Quick wins....

There's a linkage about six inches forward of the gearbox- this chap-
J10421-1_3.jpg

that often wears out/perishes, so may need replacing. keep the metal cage off the old one though, they seem much sturdier and the pin that goes through the bushes feels tighter. You'll know what I mean when you see it. It's an easy swap.

there's also a bush up front... right where the gearstick fits into the main shift rod, there's a little bush inside the rod, that slips onto a pin. You'll need to take the front section of the shift rod out for this one. there's a little bolt with a bit of wire on it near where the shift rod comes out of the big guide tube that runs down the van. remove the rear coupling as above, then that bolt, then (or before, I don't care) unbolt the gear lever and pull that out. then you should be able to remove the front shift rod section, and replace the little bush inside it.

Here's a pic of the front shift rod and it's bush-

Then you can install a "quick shift" kit- sounds racy, but they really help. they're only a fiver from places like GSF. People say that you shouldn't use the plastic ones, but i've not had a problem with mine in the last 40k. that goes both underneath your gearlever and slides onto it before the retainer plate- this looks like a pretty good write-up on the subject

http://batvolks.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/quick-shift-kit-installation-on-72-bus.html

And that's as much as you can do without taking the engine and gearbox out. when you're refitting the gear lever, do the two nuts up so that you can just about move the metal cover, then pop the clutch down and try to get all the gears. the cover usually moves itself into place when you do that and then you can nip it up- you might need to wiggle it about though.

if you wanted to do a COMPLETE overhaul of the bushes, then as I say, engine and gearbox out, main shiftrod out, and there are some shuttlecock shaped bushes on it (they're on the photo above, arrowed). they're easy enough to replace but an arse to get to, so try the easy things first.

I would say replace the front section of the shift rod along with the bushes, and also change the gearbox oil.
I did this to mine and it made a world of difference.

So

Along with the linkage bushes and the rear joiner between the gearbox and shift rod you could try a quick shift kit, a very cheap and easy way iof reducing the throw:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Quick-shift-kit-40-T1-2-3-AC711010_act_shop.product_pID_123320_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi jonboy,
Not here'd of the bush on the steering box ? Or the brass upgrade you mentioned do you know who supplies the upgrade you talk of its a job I'd be looking to do on overhauling my linkages. Etc.

Cheers dude Adi

Gearbox, not steering box, the clue was in the thread title :)

There is a nylon bush in the nose of the gearbox, this wears over time and no matter what you do to the rest of the linkage it never feel tight. Replace this nylon bush with a brass one and the difference is very noticeable.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

This has got me thinking , I might aswell buy all these bits and see if I can improve my shift a bit.

I've got to stop reading these threads, it justs keeps making me add more things to the 'to do' list :|

Latest posts