Gone in 60 seconds, well about 20 minutes really

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nugsy we know exactly how you are feeling this happed to us and is the absolute worse thing that can happen after getting so far. You must be feeling sick to the bone, we did and we almost gave up our dream of owning a bus.

If your insured through any means then thats a bonus we weren't so had to stand to everything we put in to the van so learnt a very hard lesson.

However on a slighter brighter note my advice would be and this is speaking from how we went about getting sorted is, if you have anything salvageable possibly the body then thats a starting block or any parts possibly parts to sell on and start the new bus fund. We tried not to think to much about all the money and hard work put into the bus it only makes you feel worse. There is definately light at the end of the tunnel we came through and so can you just don't give up.

IF THERE IS ANYTHING WE CAN DO TO HELP BE IT A COUPLE OF WEEKENDS WORKING ON A NEW PROJECT, PARTS WE MAY HAVE THAT YOU NEED (YOU CAN HAVE THEM FOR FREE), TOOLS YOU MAY NEED TO LEND OR ANYTHING ELSE YOU CAN THINK OF THAT MAY HELP JUST ASK AND IF ITS POSSIBLE FOR US TO DO IT WE WILL.

GUTTED FOR YOU MATE.

Hi Nugsy
So sorry to hear about your bus after all your hard work. Lets hope it will be like the phoenix and can rise again from the ashes.

Hi all and thanks to each and everyone of you for all the kind words of support, offers of help and parts. Its really good to know there is such a willing support network out there. Ive met a few of you when sourcing parts etc but always hid in the shadows at shows feeling without an 'on the road' bus i wasnt actually legit just yet.

Luckily i have insurance on the van although it was agreed value and all they would accept initially was the price i paid, a ridiculous bargain at £1500. I have since spent about £1000+ in panels 2/3rds of which had been done (all the chassis, out riggers, jackers, sills, cab floor, front arches, front panel inner and outer) only rear arches and corners to go.

I have spoken to my insurance and they have advised they can send an expert to look at my receipts and photo evidence and make a fair assessment. My mate also has insurance for his premises but not sure how far that stretches to his outside premises.

Having been down today and had a proper look the bus is no way salvageable, every panel is warped with heat distortion, even the walkthrough bulkheads, cargo floor and front tubs which surprised me as the heat must have been intense inside. The engine bay is covered in splats of hardened aluminium blobs everywhere. If i can get it back from the insurance some bits may be of use as things like the window apertures and front /bubble area look like the were in really good shape with only surface rust, and being structural havent warped with heat (its more large flat surfaces)

The interior was stripped out for all the welding work; seats, carpets, trim panels etc with the exception of the original danbury rear roof locker (sorry doug)

@ Jim (last panzer) thanks for your comments, i had the uncut dash of you just after your loss and met you again at volksworld. i know exactly what you mean as besides the actual cost i have lost 18 months of weekends and evenings away from my young family working on it. thats part of the bigger picture you only really know when you own a bus. I joked it was my midlife crisis buying a bus but it as one all the family were happy to buy into, my 2 year old is always happy to point out 'ambervans' whenever he sees one.

@ Graham (MEB) after i went and had a look sunday at the damage i had to go for a drive somehwere and ended up coming to find your place (just down the road in Bedworth, and on the off chance anyone was around). I think if i get anything back from my insurance that will allow me to replace my bus, im gunna have to look at the US import route otherwise if i start again with rusty uk bus, im looking at another 2 years of repairs to get a solid useable bus (funds wont stretch to the prices of restored rhd's).

No worries fella, you have picked up on one point i forgot and that is go American import and save money and time it does speed the process of getting a bus back on the road no end.

Best of luck and you know where i am if you need anything. :D

Nugsy said:
The interior was stripped out for all the welding work; seats, carpets, trim panels etc with the exception of the original danbury rear roof locker (sorry doug)
Well at least the rest of your interior survives, to make another Danbury complete again! :D

I too would go down the import route, in your situation.

Keep us posted on how things go, won't you. :)

Hi Nugsy

Did you find our unit or not?, feel free to drop in for a chat whenever you are passing,

terrible news mate. cant believe this has happened to two buses on this forum. hope you manage to replace it soon :D

Hi Graham, yep i found your unit afer a couple of goes as all the gates and bollards were up. I asked 2 guys outside the CIMAC place but they said they had never seen any old VW's driving round :shock:

Unless i can find a tidyish UK Bus i'll be in touch once i get any heads up from my insurance about how things will progress, Just hope they give me street value for my bus as it was with all the work done and not what i paid. Either way its good to know someone so helpful is so close and thanks. Assessors should be out any day now

:shock:
Glad no-one was hurt or burn't and in all honesty it can be replaced, the 'new' van will never be the same as the old one but heres hoping you can move onwards and upwards

Hi Nugsy

Just noticed the change of avatar picture and dug around to find this thread. If you remember you "donated" your curtains to my cause. Still using them as well!!

I'm well gutted for you. I really do hope that the insurance can do something for you. I can't offer much more than encouraging words.

Keep us informed with progress.

froggy said:
:shock:
the 'new' van will never be the same as the old one but heres hoping you can move onwards and upwards

Trying to explain this to non bus owners gets blank expressions. I had put 18 months hard work, blood, sweat etc in this bus. Sourced parts specifically for this bus (some can still be used, some i need to sell and buy again when needed)

Hi Baldrick, yep i remember the curtains, gald to hear you still use em. You have the only bit of my bus that made it on the road :) you also helped in the Gene Berg group buy (looking to by a US bus now so got a rhd Gene Berg that will be no good :? )

So sorry to see this, you must be so gutted after all the hard work :( Hope it all works out for you and you realise your dream eventually x x x

Well after all the kind words and thoughts it all worked out well. Got a call of my insurance and they have offered me a good price for my bus. So good i put an offer in on a 71 Sunroof Deluxe

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31761" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

needs work but dont they all, and luckily got all my interior panels, danbury interior etc out my old bus to go in it.

Thanks go out to Graham at MEB for all his help and advice in all of this :D

Great news, really glad to hear something positive.

The ad says that it will be delivered to Thamesport. Is this where you will pick it up from? I used to work there and it's only a few minutes down the road.

Looks very very cool i love it, keep it stock and stick a microbus interior back in it.....i dare you...i double dare you :lol:

Glad to see your getting back on bus feet.

Im chuffed with it, as i had my eye on it for a while

Baldrick - Thanks to Graham, and also finding the add on the Samba selling it cheaper, i got a better deal and its being picked up by Grahams guys and delivered to the midlands for a not a lot more

Jim - It may interest you to know i have recently bought some alabaster grey middle and back seats of (Kev) o'sullivan on here, and a set of interior panels i have are the grey/black ones that match this. Mind you its only a temporary fix to get the family out in ut, why i finish restoring the danbury interior to make it a camper (I like to keep my options open) :D

Couldnt call the bus Phoenix as well, even though my story is similar to yours (although i was insured which made it easier to swallow........just(no comparison really to a total loss)). So the new bus being Elm green gets the name Elmo, that is until my misses finally gets her way with Elma :lol:

My only concern with it is around the sunroof and i wont know the full extent till it gets here, worse case i stick a westafalia roof :shock: on it, but hoping it can be repaired (not a job i want to tackle)

I have a certain admiration of guys who tackle such serious (rusty) projects and was sad to see they way it ended :cry: . So glad to read there's been a bit of good news :) .

Fingers crossed that you'll be on the road pretty soon.

Hey Nugsy, like Baldrick, I too was drawn back to this thread by your new avatar piccy! :D

Well done, glad you've got another bus!

I've drooled over this bus since I first saw it advertised, and I would do the same, putting back the stock panels and seats, although if your plans are to eventually put your Danbury interior in at some stage, well that gets my vote too! :mrgreen: