• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Good steering wheel Wanted

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicky

Reaction score
Says it all really. Mines cracked and falling in bits around the hub. 72 bus.

Yes - thanks for that. If I have to I will buy a new one but would prefer original even if a bit battered (but better than mine). Thanks

I don't know how bad it is, but i repaired a 60's bug wheel using milliput epoxy putty. It is very easy to use and once sanded and painted, you would not know it had been repaired.

dont know if it helps just repaired mine with upol fiberglass needs a bit more work to get good finnish but it was well nakkered (not for sale back on bus now) but just to show it can be done

2013-02-21195903_zps6857cb0c.jpg

pink bits are fiberglass resin

2013-02-24100643_zps06c1e6ed.jpg

if you look at tech section there is a link on how to repair them

Not too shoddy!!

I really dont have the time to do this tbh and im not convinced it will stand up to use. Mine has cracks across both spokes, centre hub is pretty non existant. If I could get a spare one, possibly refurb and fite when done ie do at leisure then possibly!

I've got a repro one, in good nick, that I don't use anymore. It was on my 68 so I think it will fit your 72, not 100% sure though. I'll dig it out of the garage and take some pics if your interested.

adski said:
I've got a repro one, in good nick, that I don't use anymore. It was on my 68 so I think it will fit your 72, not 100% sure though. I'll dig it out of the garage and take some pics if your interested.

Yes please! Did you not get on with it?

I got on with it fine, used it for about 18 months. Then treated myself to an MCJ

P1010897.jpg

Just been out to the garage but think it is buried under lots of other stuff, I must of put it in there over a year ago. Really got to get round to sorting the garage out :roll:
Soon as I find it I'll let you know.

adski said:
I got on with it fine, used it for about 18 months. Then treated myself to an MCJ

P1010897.jpg

Just been out to the garage but think it is buried under lots of other stuff, I must of put it in there over a year ago. Really got to get round to sorting the garage out :roll:
Soon as I find it I'll let you know.
Should have a competeition for worst garage ! Ill be up there with the winners!
Nice cab though! Nice wheel too! (Posh)

Cheers!
The MCJ wheels are pricey but really good quality.
Anyway I'll start digging in the garage, where's me shovel and minors helmet ......

Or get yourself a nice Springalex Steering wheel for is,sit on here - have one fitted to mine and it is great.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=47873" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He does a nice polished boss too! 8)

CIMG3889_zps472a446e.jpg

CIMG3892_zps47aaef60.jpg

I'm back from the pit (garage). Good news is I've found it, bad news is it's got damaged whilst in there. The wheel plastic has split at the top and bottom of the wheel :( I think this has probably happened due to temperature changes in the garage causing the wheel to expand and contract slightly. They are clean breaks and I think they could be easily repaired with the method already mentioned by others. The wheel still feels sturdy and useable as is. Anyway if you can make use of it you can have it for £15, this should cover the postage and packing and buy me a pint in the pub on the way home from the post office ;)

P1010900.jpg

P1010901.jpg

P1010904.jpg

P1010903.jpg

P1010902.jpg

Looks a damned site easier to fix than the one ive got. Thanks! can I paypal you or ..?

Got one now many thanks to Adski. Not a difficult looking repair but just need to invesitigate whats best to repair the cracks.

Latest posts