• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Group Buy - Continental Roof Bed (£33.30 plus Duties)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a reply:

The best he can do works out at £65 per set (plus any duties). It will take about 2 months.

Please put your name down if interested. If I get 10 people who are willing to get the money to me by next weekend I will place the order.

Thanks.

Faux (Jon) x 1 set

Jon

Forgive my ignorance but how did it get to £65 a set + duties?,

(would it be easier for someone to order one set and use it as a pattern to get some made up over here as none of it looks over complicated)

I'm still up for a set just confused how he got to the numbers!!

Faux (Jon) x 1 set
Graham L x 1 set

Hi!

Hmmm, I think it's a little too strong, money wise now for me to be honest, think i will resort to the other method i was gonna use:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=354101&sid=388cff971b606b6186f92a49addf0d7d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or alternatively, make up my own wire bail bit as already mentioned on the forum by someone who posted a picture with clear sizes etc, but i can;t seem to find the post at the moment. Maybe they will see this and re-post?

Though, thank you's to Jon for getting this far - i'm just gonna have to bail for the time being...... :cry:

Cheers!

Alistair

is this the post you're after ?

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I posted the dimensions of the wiry bit I got thanks to a very nice EB member.

Patrice ;)

paddy56 said:
is this the post you're after ?

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I posted the dimensions of the wiry bit I got thanks to a very nice EB member.

Patrice ;)

That was is, thank you!

Alistair

I'm still not convinced that there is everything you need.
I had a look at the roof bed in the EB at Cool Air when I was in there the other week and it appears to have two 'ball and socket' clips which hold the hinged 'pillow' section back against the underside of the bed when not in use.
The one in Cool Air also has longer 'feet' that rest on the edge of the sunroof hole about 10"-12" long rather than those little ones with the rubber/plastic ends on. I think I may take a tape measure with me next time and take some decent digital photos. I feel a project coming on...

Not long ago, I wrote an article on a French forum to let my fellow countrymen know how to build a Continental roof bed ( because the "Continental" was only sold in the British Isles and never on the Continent :shock: ! )
It is obviously in French, but you'll find the necessary measures and all the documentation I've gathered. let me know if you need translation.
I'd like to apologise to Nigel Skeet (maybe an Earlybay member ?) for my using of an excellent sketch he posted on theSamba without his permission. Thanks Nigel and congratulations for your excellent work :mrgreen: !

http://vw-camper.fr/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy !
Patrice

Hi All

I got my maths very wrong somewhere down the line :oops: I may have had too many when trying to work out exchange rates etc:

Here is the break down:

$45 per set x 10 sets = $450
+ $80 shipping
$530

$530 = (£1 = $1.59) £333

Which makes it £33.30 each......... 8) There may be duties on top, it all depends on whether it gets through customs or not......most stuff does.

(Being a teacher I am very ashamed of my poor maths)

For those with concerns about the kit, I have not seen one. I have been told, as mentioned earlier in the thread, that they work well, but it is a risk I am willing to take. 'Though I can't speak for anyone else.

If you still want a set keep those names coming:

Jon (Faux)
Graham L

Hi Jon, count me in for 1 set please, but might need to help with working out how to fit it and the getting all the bed dimensions etc...

So thats:

Faux (Jon) x 1 set
Graham L x 1 set
Loweredlight (Dave) x 1 set

Cheers

quote from the samba bed thread

"I am going to put together another batch of kits. The new version will feature the Bus Boys rubber toggle and c-clip. The first 10 kits I made are gone and I am ordering more supplies. I still have the $45.00 kits available. I seem to be getting a lot of Europeans looking for these which surprised me. I thought the US market would have more of a need since these were originally only available in Europe. Look for a revised Ad sometime in June."

will he be supplying the $45 kit, or the revised one jon

any other parts i will need??

slammedresto said:
quote from the samba bed thread

"I am going to put together another batch of kits. The new version will feature the Bus Boys rubber toggle and c-clip. The first 10 kits I made are gone and I am ordering more supplies. I still have the $45.00 kits available. I seem to be getting a lot of Europeans looking for these which surprised me. I thought the US market would have more of a need since these were originally only available in Europe. Look for a revised Ad sometime in June."

will he be supplying the $45 kit, or the revised one jon

any other parts i will need??

The quote is for the original kit, the only difference is you will need to source the Cclips. JK do them plus others I'm sure. I will be doing my own sytem for this I think.

The plans should be up to standard but I will not be doing any drilling if I can help it.

Jon

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and quite new to earlybay ownership :D

If it's not too late to join the party I'd be interested in one of these.

Martin

Faux (Jon) x 1 set
Graham L x 1 set
Windsurfer x 1 set[/quote]
Slammedresto x 1 set
brenandmartin x 1 set - (ps welcome to the site :) not to late at all)

I need 4 more people really, but could do it with less.

Jon

Ok

Last chance, I will be ordering these at the end of the week.

Faux (Jon) x 1 set
Graham L x 1 set
Windsurfer x 1 set[/quote]
Slammedresto x 1 set
brenandmartin x 1 set

Here you go guys, I went as far as cutting the ply ( i still have it if anyone wants it) then bought a mint original

Westfalia-Roof-Bed-1-1.jpg

Any Qs feel free to ask

Just

Hi All

The guy from the Samba has gone quiet again, which leaves me little confidence to go and order from him.

I'm sorry to those who have put their names down but I don't want to front the funds for a group buy when I'm not 100% confident that they will arrive.

Please feel free to contact him yourselves.

Jon

Latest posts