Group buy- Delrin bush for shift rod

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve fitted mine now. I took to the end of the rod with a flap wheel on a grinder and using trial and error measurement I took it back until the bush fitted. I can’t see any issue with this as it isn’t changing anything important and won’t weaken it significantly.

They don’t just ‘fit’ an og part though.

Attachments

• IMG_2744.jpeg
    IMG_2744.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
The crisp looking shiftrod shown in Washburns image looks much more like the WW one in Mikes pictures, than his previous worn part. Referring to the look of the two raised ribs at the top edge of the slot.
So I think Washburns must have inadvertently made their bushes to suit a WW or other repro shiftrod. The WW item having a shorter internal bore than others.

I’ve fitted mine now. I took to the end of the rod with a flap wheel on a grinder and using trial and error measurement I took it back until the bush fitted. I can’t see any issue with this as it isn’t changing anything important and won’t weaken it significantly.

They don’t just ‘fit’ an og part though.
Well done Mike !

Think I’ll evaluate what to do to make it fit once the front rod is sat in a vice in my workshop 👍
Maybe rather than machine off the front end of the OG rod thus shortening it & its fit onto the locating pin, I am thinking if I can use a dremel & grind away the rear / inner face of the bore, by trying to pull the grinding cylinder out of the rod, and using circular motions. It’ll take a bit to remove 2-3mm but I’ll be happier if I can do that.

Either that or ask our work toolmaker to make me a replica bush 3mm longer.

Well done Mike !
Thanks to you again Mike. I thought I’d caused too much fuss initially so I’m glad there are now straightforward solutions to fitting it.

There’s a part of me that should be vexed at the hassle to fit a £40+ stupid part, but life’s too short :D

Thanks to you again Mike. I thought I’d caused too much fuss initially so I’m glad there are now straightforward solutions to fitting it.

There’s a part of me that should be vexed at the hassle to fit a £40+ stupid part, but life’s too short :D
I thought that maybe there would be possibly one or two parts going on the deluxe build that I don't have to modify, but no.
Such is life.

Latest posts