Gustav_t´s 1972 "POBA-camper"

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustav_t

Reaction score
Recently found this special danish conversion called POBA. It has been sitting without its engine since 1999 and has only minor rust problems. I was a lead on a 1974 bus sitting next to it that got me in the right direction. I´m gonna slam it and have some fun in it. I have owned shiny vws enough.

I found this pop top. I was actually looking for a full late westy top, but maybe this would do? It was cheap.
Anyone know the model or can show me how it would look on the bus.

I have no idea -please tell me the difference. Are early westy ones weaker?

No not at all :lol:

Its just you're back windows look like very late westy double glazed jobbies

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ooh - they are. If anyone fancys the double glazed windows please contact me, as I am planning to change them for louvred windows and ones with vent windows.

G.

I learned today that the car is in its original color L60D Ulmgrün/Elm Green.
I´ve seen some really nice cars here in this color so I hope it polishes up well and I will only paint as little as possible after rust repairs.

I also found a "new passenger seat from a slightly younger bay, but in mint condition and the correct color. The old one was badly torn and the frame was broken.

G

Somone told me I could use a T3/T25 pop top. I found one but I am not sure if I would be contempt with the look. This is my friends old late bay with a T3/T25 pop top added. What do you think?
Would it be sacrilege?

I like the later bay pop tops - don't think it would be a hanging offence :D - only advice would be to check size of sunroof/opening to make sure it fits as had thought they would be different between early/late bays?

The hole in the roof would be one I cut. The roof I found is a complete T3 roof the steel included.

G.

Love it!!! great find.

It has the small indicators on the B pillar :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I have been after a pair of them for years :lol:

In Denmark those small indicators are all over the place because they are mandatory by law.
They sit on everything from beetles to old caravans.

Even today some new cars have side indicators added when arriving in Denmark.

G.

Found a set of NOS, yellow Hella lenses.
I like the look.

I am looking for a serious vendor that will sell me some westy windows and an opening rear side window.

G.

NOS Yellow Hella Lenses added. Still looking for serious vendor that will sell me 2 westy windows and a rear window with opening quarter window.

Well - I finally took the deep breath needed and put the saw to the absolutely mint roof. I haven´t attached the fabric yet as I intend to paint the roof L90 pastel white/weiss.

Love to hear what you think - did I f*ck it up?

G.

Things are starting to come together. Today all the sheet metal, window rubber and brake parts (thank you mattp) arrived.
Now that the sheet metal is present I´ve started cutting out the cancer. The bus is really solid for a car that has lived its life on danish roads.

Welding jobs ahead:

Inner and outer sills left
Small patch on cargo floor above inner sill
Outer sill right (under sliding door)
Front part of chassis rails
Small patches in the cab area
Small area on bottom of front panel
Front bumper steps

Latest posts