had my door handle re chromed (before & after pics)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doris

Reaction score
nothing exciting but I thought I'd share this with you as my wife has no interest and doesn't appreciate the appeal of perfect chrome!
this was before............
passengerdoorhandle.jpg

Cabdoorahndlebeforerechrome1.jpg

and ...after..................
Baydoorhandleafterrechroming1.jpg

Baydoorhandleafterrechroming.jpg

I'm very happy with the results. feel like I don't want to fit them now in case they get scratched!! my other handle is too far gone to chrome.......
Driversdoorhandle1-1.jpg

I think they can grind them back if there is enough metal to play with but this is too much,so I'm still on the look out for another,but I think the kind gentleman 'rocket ron' is going to help with that! :)

Hiya Doris,

Gorgeous!

Tell me, did chroming the handle cost an arm and a leg? Over here in the States it's getting more and more difficult to get anything chromed due to environmental regulations. Very spendy and it takes a long time

the councillor said:
social mis-fit freak that i am i'm more concerned about trying to work out what the picture is in the reflection in the third photo down :oops:

ha ha - I've just had to go into the living room to look myself....its painting by Jonathan Pike ' Balconies on the grand central' some venician picture - don't ask me - it ain't got wheels!! the fingers and the camera reflection are mine (I hope).

It costs £25-30 per door handle (inc trigger) depending on condition and £10 for the collar around the sliding door handle. Its the way to go if you want to keep your OG keys and VW handle........

slidingdoordoorcoller-2.jpg

slidingdoorcollarafterrechrome.jpg

Bookwus said:
Hiya Doris,

Gorgeous!

Tell me, did chroming the handle cost an arm and a leg? Over here in the States it's getting more and more difficult to get anything chromed due to environmental regulations. Very spendy and it takes a long time

Hi Bookwus, costs about £25 - £30.The metal finishers normally take more or less a week depending on the work load at the time. £30 works out at about $45 at the moment, If chrome plating is so much of a headache - couldn't you send small stuff over here?

If you cover the costs, I don't mind taking it to the chrome place and sending it back to you?

Cheers - Rob

Hey Rob
Do you think you could get me a price on a full set of handels. 2 doors, 1 slider, 1 rear hatch and one engine.

Doris said:
Hi Bookwus, costs about £25 - £30.The metal finishers normally take more or less a week depending on the work load at the time. £30 works out at about $45 at the moment, If chrome plating is so much of a headache - couldn't you send small stuff over here?

If you cover the costs, I don't mind taking it to the chrome place and sending it back to you?

Cheers - Rob

Rob/Doris - If you've got access to a chromer who takes more or less a week you may find I end up sending you all my handles too! I've never heard of such a quick turn around for a metal finisher (normally talking multiple weeks!)

How about it?

if at all possible could you also get a price for a full set of locks and handles as they look the dogs goolies, way nicer than the repro crap you can get

are they done similar to the triple chroming techniques?

cheers

carl

- have to say my partner is very similar with no interest in shiny bits, showed her some awesome looking polished radar wheels and the only reaction was 'how much did those cost' :(

hmm... it's all distorted and a mirror image but i still wouldn't have got it in a million years so thanks for putting me out of my misery :p

would anybody be interested in me setting up a *masterpieces in handle reflection* quiz ?

*tumbleweed*

oh, fair enough :oops:

All chrome plating should be triple.

The process is copper, nickel, chrome.

They do look nice. My van had a bunch of keys for different handles. I rebuilt the locks so they are all the same ;) It was cheaper than new handles.

The barrels can be swapped over from one lock to another, so when you get a new sliding door handle, you can still use the same key.

To be honest you can pick up complete good quality chrome OG handles minus keys for £3 from any show/swap meet so seems a touch excessive to me, every chromer I've spoken to will do handles at 20-25 if in reasonable condition...

They are stunning, I need to do some for my split bug soon and these have spurred me on

Did they take them apart and put them back together?

Seb

beetleseb said:
They are stunning, I need to do some for my split bug soon and these have spurred me on

Did they take them apart and put them back together?

Seb

It only takes 5 mins to take them apart so. I just take in the bare handle.

All chrome plating should be triple.

The process is copper, nickel, chrome.

They do look nice. My van had a bunch of keys for different handles. I rebuilt the locks so they are all the same It was cheaper than new handles.

The barrels can be swapped over from one lock to another, so when you get a new sliding door handle, you can still use the same key.

quite correct Pete! the chromer tells me they are triple chromed (it was the first question I asked!!)

Hey Rob
Do you think you could get me a price on a full set of handels. 2 doors, 1 slider, 1 rear hatch and one engine.

Rob/Doris - If you've got access to a chromer who takes more or less a week you may find I end up sending you all my handles too! I've never heard of such a quick turn around for a metal finisher (normally talking multiple weeks!)

How about it?

if at all possible could you also get a price for a full set of locks and handles as they look the dogs goolies, way nicer than the repro crap you can get

cheers

carl

Carl,VeeDubMan,clyde,

I'm more then happy to help fellow EBers by collecting/delivering to the chromers & post stuff back to you at your cost, but I'm not affiliated with them in any way so I can't give you a quote as a pro. each handle has a different amount of pitting..... BUT..... I'll pop in to the chrome place,and ask if he'll honor the price he charged me providing the handles are in no worse condition! (the pics will give you an idea) the one that was the better of the two only just got by,any worse and it wouldn't have been able to be re plated.

how does that sound?

Doris said:
Carl,VeeDubMan,clyde,

I'm more then happy to help fellow EBers by collecting/delivering to the chromers & post stuff back to you at your cost, but I'm not affiliated with them in any way so I can't give you a quote as a pro. each handle has a different amount of pitting..... BUT..... I'll pop in to the chrome place,and ask if he'll honor the price he charged me providing the handles are in no worse condition! (the pics will give you an idea) the one that was the better of the two only just got by,any worse and it wouldn't have been able to be re plated.

how does that sound?

Perfect! Let us know what the outcome is. Cheers.

actually at Stanford hall last year there were several on a stall all less than a tenner some with really good chrome.....

Latest posts