Had no idea this mechanism was even here!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angus

Reaction score
I am currently replacing window rubbers/repainting.
Took the covers off (well, cut them off actually...) that are under the rear side window - then cover the sliding door mechanism/runner on the nearside, and on the other side they just cover where the mech/runner would be if my van were left hand drive - if you see what I mean.

Anyway - offside (non-sliding door side) sits into a 'U' shaped channel along the top edge, along with that rubber piping you can see under the window, and then uses 3 'tabs' to bolt the bottom edge in place.

On the sliding door side, they couldn't do this, as the sliding door mechanism has to slide along the runner, so would be blocked by the lower tabs. The solution is - IMO - brilliant! Not sure if it is over-engineered or not, but was just struck with the simplicity of how they hold the cover plate (if that isn't a contradiction) Now I am sure many of you have seen this before, but for those who haven't....

Sliding door mech - but look above at the horizontal screw and wavey pressing...

mech-4.jpg

This chap:

mech-3.jpg

mech-2.jpg

Basically what you have is a way of clamping the top edge of the cover plate return, evenly along its full length. You insert the plate (and rubber 'gasket' piping piece) in the groove nearest the window, then when you tunr that screw it draws a wavey strip of steel towards the fron of the van. As it does so, the strip passes over/along a similar shaped strip welded to the van, and in doing so is 'ramped' out - clamping the metal cover in doing so.

mech-6.jpg

I guess this full length clamping means that it doesn't matter that the cover does not have the three tabs bolted to it along the bottom (it has one at each end)

Anyway, just thought it was a really clever solution! I didn't even know it was there...

(PS - mods - not sure if this counts as technical, so feel free to move if apropriate! cheers ;) )

they deleted it on late bays,its a bitch to get off when the screw is rusted solid or head sheared off :evil:

67panel said:
they deleted it on late bays,its a bitch to get off when the screw is rusted solid or head sheared off :evil:

tell me about it! i had no end of trouble with this in the end had to break it off to get under the cover. It does too a good job of keep everything in place, just don't let it seize up :evil:

Johnny said:
67panel said:

tell me about it! i had no end of trouble with this in the end had to break it off to get under the cover. It does too a good job of keep everything in place, just don't let it seize up :evil:

Tell me about it :oops:

uum - got to go and try and undo mine.
I might not be so impressed if it fails...

When I came to repair my panel below the window on the sliding door side my slot wasn't really there. Totally rusted away :lol: The original was an amazing idea but as has been said, I guess a complete 'mare to maintain.

P6080596.jpg

Latest posts