Headliner fitting

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigG

Reaction score
Anybody bought and fitted their own headlining?
Is it as bad as it sounds? I have a sunroof deluxe and the old one tucked under the roof tracks and behind the windows as well as down the posts. The bus is being restored and all the windows are out now, just wondered what to look out for and how do I stick it to the window rubber lips etc.
Thanks in advance :)

i bought one from the states not put it in yet,its a sun roof one was a lot cheeper then getting it from here even after paying the tax at the door :)

http://www.evwparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Bus1968-1971Headliners" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-baywindow/interior_trim--and--upholstery/headliners/german_quality_full_length_headliner_for_metal_sun_roof_off_white_perforated_vinyl_8+3_bows_68-72_1205/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi,
Your better off having a headliner fitted by someome experienced, otherwise it's an expensive experiment if you do it yourself! :shock:

I have one from Volksburg West - I think it was £60, but does not come with bows. Excellent quality, Custom and Commercial get theirs from Voksburg West, but rip you off with a stupid greedy mark up. They are becoming just as bad as Kieft En Klok. Bite the bullet and get it done professionally.

LV

Hi There ,

It's not that bad to do I did mine in a day with the wife . I bought it off ebay can't remember how much now may be £130 ish . It is tricky but take your time and it's not to bad . It may not be as good as VW intended but it alot cheaper than getting a company to do it and it does the job . I know your has a sunroof but it is the same principle.

few pics to show how I did it !!
Firstly I put foam on the roof to kill the sound of the rain beating on the roof of the van.
van001.jpg

I then put all the bows in starting from the front pulled it tight towards the back.
van004.jpg

I then used spray adhesive glue around windscreen lip and tucked it under the metal flaps around cab doors.
van008.jpg

Then take your time and start to tuck it under where the windows seals will sit.
van009.jpg

Then just keep tidying it up and pulling it taught and finally should look something like this.
van006.jpg

Then just tuck the rear bit up and cut put where hinge covers go . Like I said not as VW intended but cheap and it does the job .

Thanks for the info fellas.
I'd be happy with mine if it came out like the above 8) It might not be how it left the factory but its better than how mine left the bus. :lol:

Latest posts