Heat Exchanger Help!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPBerry2011

Reaction score
Hello all.

So my bus came with some OE heat exchangers which I believe may be from a beetle. They had two little outlets taped up with gaffer tape. Somebody a volksworld said that typically these are flattened with pliers by bus owners. Can anybody confirm if these are indeed Beetle Heat Exchangers and if this sealing of them is standard practice? Just want to make sure before I do this. My bus came without the heater flaps, linkage/thermostat and heater cable hooked up the the heat exchanger. I want to make sure the exchangers dont connect to anything via these outlets so any help will be much appreciated. Picture attached.

Thanks,

Chris :)

[photobucket] [/photobucket]

Beetle and type2 heat exchangers are the same. I've come across this type of exchanger before and have welded these tubes up. You can squash them as suggested but welding does a better job. :idea: :!:
Robert

There are difference between beetle and bay window Heat exchangers, the mechanism to open the flap is different, yours look like after-market heat exchangers as they have a mechanism on both sides. im not sure what the outlet is form but mine has been capped off. some are blocked from the factory.

do you have a photo of the fins inside your heat exchangers?

AxlFoley said:
There are difference between beetle and bay window Heat exchangers, the mechanism to open the flap is different, yours look like after-market heat exchangers as they have a mechanism on both sides. im not sure what the outlet is form but mine has been capped off. some are blocked from the factory.

do you have a photo of the fins inside your heat exchangers?

No photos of the fins as have taken them apart. Guess I'll weld the holes up then!

Just to clarify this- those holes are for beetle 1200 engines. In all other respects the exchanges are the same. You will have to flip the lever arms if they're from a bug though :)

Latest posts