Heated windscreens any good?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humphrey

Reaction score
Anyone got one, are they worth it? I don't have any heating to the front so always have a fogged up windshield and it's worse in winter... any comments or recommendations appreciated.

Humps.

Propex heater plumbed into the heat exchangers so you have nice dry hot air to the windscreen - guess that would work?

http://www.justkampers.com/shop/t2-bay-window/original-parts/windows-seals/heated-front-windscreen-collection-only-j15085.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Didnt even realise they did them till your thread - interesting to see how they would be wired up! Top idea though!

^ yep them's the ones... just after the usual insider tips, anyone got any experience with these?

£250 Screen + new rubber + wiring, switches etc..... That's quite a bit of coin just to heat the screen when you're driving, it's about the same money ish as a propex and that'll heat the whole cabin up and you can use it when you're parked up, I know which way I'm going :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've done zero research here but think it through, the battery is at the rear of the van, you're gonna need a fairly chunky wire and relay plus switch system to run this, plus you need to work out if the ampage it draws is more (with other stuff running too like lights) than your dynamo/alternator is gonna cope with/feed back in to the battery, there's no way i'd entertain one if i'm honest - get the heating working or plumb a propex into the totem pipe.

Humphrey said:
Anyone got one, are they worth it? I don't have any heating to the front so always have a fogged up windshield and it's worse in winter... any comments or recommendations appreciated.

Humps.

I always keep my trusty Jack Russell in the front with me during the winter months.

His dogs breath clears the screen in about 45 seconds :lol:

rickyrooo1 said:
I've done zero research here but think it through, the battery is at the rear of the van, you're gonna need a fairly chunky wire and relay plus switch system to run this, plus you need to work out if the ampage it draws is more (with other stuff running too like lights) than your dynamo/alternator is gonna cope with/feed back in to the battery, there's no way i'd entertain one if i'm honest - get the heating working or plumb a propex into the totem pipe.
whs ^ the heating in vw works fine if its put in correct ,only thing i would do if you are useing after market heat exchangers is wrap them with exhaust wrap in the winter as they are not as good as original ones :)

Yeah cheers I have a race engine so no heat exchanges, was really just after opinions on the heated WS, it's a bit of a hassle to do so just wanted to know if they are any good first.

Humphrey said:
Yeah cheers I have a race engine so no heat exchanges, was really just after opinions on the heated WS, it's a bit of a hassle to do so just wanted to know if they are any good first.

Same here so I fitted one but was lucky enough to get it off fleabag for 50 squid.

If you haven't been told they normally have 2 circuits within them, 1 each side so you need 2 lots of relays etc and some chuffing thick cable from the battery as it draws a huge loads.

All being said and done it works a bloody treat :p

curly head said:
Humphrey said:

Same here so I fitted one but was lucky enough to get it off fleabag for 50 squid.

If you haven't been told they normally have 2 circuits within them, 1 each side so you need 2 lots of relays etc and some chuffing thick cable from the battery as it draws a huge loads.

All being said and done it works a bloody treat :p

Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear. Not worried about the wiring, I've already got 4awg to the front.

Cheers fella.

I've got one fitted as my original screen popped.
I've not wired it, what's the current draw on each circuit?
I will wire it one day.

Cheers Nige..

Latest posts