HELP - A1 near Gateshead/Newcastle van technical problems

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kat

Reaction score
Ok I'm just looking for a bit of help I'm only a passenger on this ride
We are on our way up north for a weekend and the van has a few problems. Just had a new clutch fitted and also changed steering drag link in prep as needed doing

Van was running fine then lost power on A1 pulled over backed off a bit and ran ok to services, same happened again foot on accelerator and van pulses like its missing and struggling again again few mins in services and ok again

Got off A1 and carried on up back road and seems to be going better

Cram vague description any ideas what might be the problem? Can they just struggle fully loaded?
I'm attempting to offer sensible suggestions instead of useless girly ones!!!

Thanks
Kat

Hi,

Could it be overheating? Sounds like it was struggling after long run, fine after cooling down for a bit/idling and then running o.k. on back roads at less of a consistent load

One thing to check is if the dip stick is too hot to grab once the engine is off, it should be hot but bearable to hold, simple test for overheating which would be my first guess if it's running fine after a break to cool down? though caution - as if it's overheating it will be hot to touch!

Thanks very much would it lose power though a couple of times and skip when you accelerate - could that all be part of it over heating?

Seems much better on back roads but had to get back on A1 for a bit so fingers crossed !

Could also be the coil breaking down when the engine gets hot - when was that last replaced?
My old Mk2 GTI used to buck and run terrible when the engine got upto temp - replaced the coil and was fine.

Check the fuel pump, sounds like it could have failed. I had the same thing. The pin was working lose out of pump

Second the fuel pump, sounds like the float bowl is emptying on long climbs, symptoms will be a loss of power for a short while.
Try driving on a part throttle up the hills and see of this helps.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

you have just described my overheating issue from 2 years ago, i had two weeks in france driving by temperature, very good it was too...All sorted now though...

you have just described my overheating issue from 2 years ago, i had two weeks in france driving by temperature, very good it was too...All sorted now though...

Latest posts