|Help / advice on Repro Wing Mirrors...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71Dormobile

Reaction score
frustrated with the wing miirors I've bought for the van the threads somehow don't seem long eough to nip up tight and also the metal theads themselves are so soft that if you nip it up is very easy to cross thread.. Anyone else had this / know of some decent alternatves. Didn't go the cheapest route on the mirrors and went to the usual suspects who all seem to sell the same...

Thread looks longer than that on ours..
Will give em a ring and check although thought the ones I had would have been up tot he job. Were you able to tighten up sufficently...

i know what your talking about, i got the wolfsburg west ones, from karmann, not cheap. and the thread is not long enough, however there is plenty of metal left on the arms and i am having my mate machine them i think its a M12 thread. ok the chrome will come off but it will be inside the door and at least they wont fall off :D

pk1was said:
i know what your talking about, i got the wolfsburg west ones, from karmann, not cheap. and the thread is not long enough, however there is plenty of metal left on the arms and i am having my mate machine them i think its a M12 thread. ok the chrome will come off but it will be inside the door and at least they wont fall off :D

Mine are WW ones mirrors themselves are very good but not impressed with the quality of the threads nor the length also bought the shims plastic grommets which uses even more of the thread, bought em through VW heritage together with a load of other stuff over the years so will try there customer service skills...

Best mirors I bought were for a Harley Davidson. Bolted strait on and the chrome finish lasts!!

Still having problems with these F ing things, anyone else had any experience with these?

Got em from Hertiage, a little while ago now but consdiering how much i've used the van I'm not impressed, they were suppoed to be the best!!

What to do now consdierng I shelled out best part of £50 notes when uyou take the postage into it :cry: , so machine em with a loner thread or ditch em?

Ive yet to find a pair of repro mirrors that are any good at all. The only ones that are any good in my opinion are the original ones which I got second hand.

Dragging up an old thread here to see if there is anyone out there that has a suggestion for worthwhile aftermarket mirrors. Once of mine has finally given up the ghost (short thread issue and rusted) the other side (drivers) has fared a little better but still rusting and the bracket is peeling.

I'll happily pay for something I know to be good.

Thanks!

I'm still no wiser on the mirrors, just shelled out another £50+ and bought some more mirrors from heritage same Ww ones again in the hope I had a batch with the shorter threads. To be fair the fella didn't want to take the cash but I was desperate for some for the summer. Had heard that Ww had a batch which had shorter threads so thought I would give it another whirl

Took a few pics of the new mirror and existing same mirror which is thread bare so removed the nut. What I can't understand is why they can't slim the thickness of the nut recess is so it will travel further up the shaft or lengthen the thread. There is only about 6mm to go into the door, coupled with that if you use the washer which I also originally bought on the first set to protect the paint and help the grip the you loose further crucial thread and stand little chance of getting a decent purchase. Threads are also alloy and as we know they soon give up the ghost.

Suggestions on a postcard. I've a few ideas

null_zpsdfcae4ca.jpg

Think you mean longer threads? I ended up with some crusty OG ones in the end, guess what......work as intended. Would like shiny new ;)

find og ones that are a bit manky for a good price ,remove the lower part and fix to the new shiny ones ,sorted, :D :D

AndyO said:
Think you mean longer threads? I ended up with some crusty OG ones in the end, guess what......work as intended. Would like shiny new ;)

Same here at the mo- cant find any decent repros :roll:

Got C&C mirrors on mine.
Not rusting and fitted fine.
Had em on for a few years now.

Rich

Got C&C mirrors on mine.
Not rusting and fitted fine.
Had em on for a few years now.

Rich

Latest posts