Help me with my UK registration woes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

admwllms

Reaction score
Hi guys, was hoping to get my bus registered and was told I'd have everything to send off but this was the reply from DVLA

"I have to reject your first registration application because of the reasons given below:

You have not enclosed your original non-UK registration certificate or export certificate. In order to register an imported vehicle you must provide the original non-UK registration certificate or export certificate, photocopies are not acceptable. If the original document is not available, you must send a letter of explanation and any other import/proof of purchase documents you have that relate to the vehicle (e.g. shipping documents, invoices) together with evidence of vehicle's date of manufacturer. If vehicle manufacturer is no longer in existence or is unable to provide dating evidence, we will consider accepting dating evidence from an alternative reliable source such as a vehicle owner's club or enthusiast's club. Details of some vehicle owners clubs can be found in the 'List of Vehicle Owners Club' (v765/1)

As your vehicle is not brand new you will need to fill in the enclosed 'Application (orange stripe) for first vehicle and tax registration of a used motor vehicle .

Following a check on the date shown on this letter of the HMRC Notification of vehicle arrival (NOVA) system, it is necessary for you to contact HMRC before we can process your application."

Can anyone help me out with what I do next? I'm lost! :( and no chance of getting any more docs from the trader either, I don't think.

edit: looking through what I have got:

MOT, insurance certificate, receipt from trader and covering note saying all is there.
NOVA letter saying checks passed
Some kind of US letter saying Notice of Pending Lien sale for vehicle
Certification of Lien Sale
something called "Vehicle Registration Inquiry Report" that has Registered Owner on it.

And that's it!

Okay, an update in case it helps someone else:

Some random googling and the DVLA website me to a place called the historic vw club. Spoke to a really nice chap who promised to send me the required proof of age. Rang the DVLA to double-check this was cool and they said it was so the "make the bus ready for our holiday" dream is seems just about alive, unless there's any more hiccups.

It's probably because you have not got the original USA registration certificate, cant remember the correct name for it

But good luck :D

I have paperwork saying import duties paid on mine but does that mean it's on the nova system?

rallye dale said:
It's probably because you have not got the original USA registration certificate, cant remember the correct name for it

But good luck :D

Cheers, yeah the bloody trader told me that was all I needed but I think you're right! Hopefully this will get me around the problem.

danban said:
I have paperwork saying import duties paid on mine but does that mean it's on the nova system?

I believe so? It should say Notification of Vehicle Arrivals on it. Clearly I'm no expert though!

I applied for my registration and to help I applied to the VW Wolfsburg Factory see link

http://automuseum.volkswagen.de/en/certificates-and-data-sheets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gave them the chassis number paid the money and got an original VW documentation, it took about 6 weeks. Found out my bus was made in Aug 72 and shipped to Boston USA in Sept 72 Basically you can get a data sheet etc with all the original specs.

Hope that helps

I assume that did not have a vehicle title with the bus?? You can order a birth certificate from Wolfsburg however this can take up to 6 -8 months at present .. But if you can get round this with dvla with other paperwork then good look ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatgaz said:
I applied for my registration and to help I applied to the VW Wolfsburg Factory see link

http://automuseum.volkswagen.de/en/certificates-and-data-sheets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gave them the chassis number paid the money and got an original VW documentation, it took about 6 weeks. Found out my bus was made in Aug 72 and shipped to Boston USA in Sept 72 Basically you can get a data sheet etc with all the original specs.

Hope that helps

Thanks for that. Hopefully won't need it, but good to know.

Mike1975: No I didn't. Honestly, because I'm a bloody idiot and trusted the trader (had done business before and knew him), when I asked "are all docs present and correct to get it on the road in a couple of months?" and he said yes, I just trusted him and didn't quiz him further. Lesson learned...

The DVLA did say I'd be okay with the extra certificate thing but perhaps once they've received that, the certificate won't be enough either. Will wait and see...

Rejected again.

Turns out the trader made up some random chassis number when getting it MOT'd, so the MOT form is wrong (I didn't notice/didnt think to check). It doesn't even match the kind of number it could be (too many digits). I have no idea why he would do this as he was there while it was being MOT'd and he could have just looked at the bloody bus to see the right one??

Anyway, now the MOT garage has to email VOSA and get their permission to print me out another one, if I understand correctly. Hoping it'll be sorted today and I can resend my application again but not feeling too hopeful at this point.

Shoulda kept the faith, MOT garage came through and spoke to VOSA and sorted it right away. Now sending off my registration again - maybe it'll be third time lucky :D

Hi how long does it take them to reject it? They have had my forms nearly 2 weeks

First time it took just a few days because the trader gave me the form for registering a brand new car. Second time was 10 days. I'd guess you're probably about to hear any day now. Could be worth giving them a ring - they told me over the phone whether it was rejected or passed both times.

I'm no expert though!

Got rejected again! Postal order went missing :shock: Luckily I rang up and a nice woman agreed to speak to the guy directly and he let me send in another postal order.

Registration came today :D F reg. Drove it to town and picked up plates. :msn4:

Latest posts