Help needed once again please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wires

Reaction score
Good afternoon ladies and gents... happy new year and all the jazz... right i have a problem with my bus and im new to the VW shin-ding.. this is my first bus and ive only had it a few month and ive cum across a problem.. i recently changed the battery as it was useless and kept makein a ddddddddddd noise... if you no what i mean???... so i changed the battery on 9th of december and put her stright into the garage.. with me been very busy ive not had her out.. yesterday and went and started her up.. she started up first time no dramas drove her around yesterday and she drove faultlesly.. got in her this morning and she started fantastic went to the shop she started again brilliant.. then called around to fill her up.. as i get back in her to set off i get the Dddddddddddd noise again and she will not start.. my mate cum and gave me a jump and i drove her back home and around abit.. i got home turned her off and guess what ive got the noise once again.. any ideas what this could be? i also have a red light on the dash. its a 1968 cali import.. im pritty sure the battery should not lose charge over night? i do have a clifford alarm on could this be a promblem? or could it be the alternator, if anybody could help with this is would be fantastic! thankyou wires!

Do you have an alternator or dynamo? Check the belt is in good condition and not slipping?
If the battery light is on your probably not getting a charge back from your alt/dynamo, do your lights dim/bright with engine revs?

WHS ^^ - sounds like charging the battery from the alternator is the cause, get a voltmeter on the alternator/dynamo and see if it's sending the correct voltage back to the battery to charge - on the bright side you probably have a spare battery now ;) I'd put it on charge and have it on standby,

On the alarm front, the usage should be minimal - so you'd expect the alarm to draw say, 0.2A - on an 80 amp hour battery that can supply 1 amp for 80 hours, that would be roughly 4 times that - could always disconnect it to see, but it does sound like you bus isn't charging the battery when going along, further highlighted by the red light - hope that helps

im not sure about the lights tbh mate... im not sure if i have a altnator/dynamo.. how do i check as i say its my first bus so ive got a million and one things to learn.. do you haveany idea how much is volts it should be sendin back? i binned the old battery because the AA man said it was shot, is it a massive job stickin a new alternator on? i dint think it was the alarm but was worth a try and the red light spells danger.. thankyou guys! ps the belt is fine! cheers again wires

if you have a multimeter stick it across your batt terminals ,should be showing about 14 volts with the rpm slightly increased .
hope this helps

Stick the multi meter across battery terminals should be about 12.5 volts start engine and increase revs should go to about 14.5, if you turn the headlights on should drop then go back up when you increase revs.

that noise you speak off fella, you may wish to get under the o/s rerar of your bus , taking with u a torch and ,ensuring your bus is not in gear locate starter motor and whilst your pal operates the ign. key ,look and listen, you may also put your finger against solonoid and feel for any "chattering " and , check ,physically the condition of all ! the wires ,i.e. grab hold of them ,they should be clean and tight your starter could perhaps be worn and/or simply need a clean out along with solinoid, there are a few ways to eliminate a prob , one is keep replacing parts till you replace the faulty one(expensive!!) the other is finding the faulty part by inspection /testing , i know which i prefer !batteries cannot make noise with exception of exploding (rare), these vehicles are cleverly designed with a view to ease of repair , take your time, test each part of system in turn i.e. brushes in alternator /dynamo is a common source of basic elec probs and cost approx|£4 to replace yourself >hope this helps you, if not ,post again, and if you find the fault ,let us know please?

cheeers guys i shall be under the car tommorrow seein what i can find on the old girl! i shall post again tommorrow if anybody else has any info i would be much grateful for that! cheers wires

The early bay 1600 had dynamo, later 1600 and type4 had alternator. The dynamo is longer than its diameter, the alternator is about same length as its diameter.

Evening guys... sorry for a slow reply on the matter.. i have still not got under the bus... i shall be under her soon to try and find this fault as its cummin upto summer and i want the bus out even more... im pritty sure i shall be gettin stuck so may need more help and advise but im new into this... i shall let you no my outcome and get back to you. thanks for the replys guys! wires

Latest posts