Help on fitting engine mount adapter....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve B

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Moving on from my sheared case threads post http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=68428" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I've bought an adapter plate - the one which fits to the oil pump plate.

Exactly how does it fit?

1) How do the new studs swap over?
2) Does the new plate sit inside the current plate? And can it be left in situ when doing (although I have a new seal).
3) How do you bolt to the moustache bar - is it going to have to be a nut and bolt job? If so, what sizes?
4) I know I may have to grind bits off my current bosses for it to fit, so that's ok.

Thanks for any help.

I've not fitted one but have seen them fitted and heard about them.

If there's no nut or thread pre-cut onto the plate, could you weld some nuts captured' to the back of it, before you fit it? To make your life easier upon assembly.

I've heard they cause all sorts of issues with the oil pump leaking, because your hanging a fair bit of engine weight from 4xM8 studs, which cannot be torqued up as much as the original bolts. This introduces movement/twist to the oil pump cover because the clamp force offered by the studs is less than required to hold the plate still.

Sent from my C55 using Tapatalk

My old engine bad this, unfortunately I can't recall any of the fitting details as it was put on about 3 or 4 years ago. I never had an issue with it leaking though. Heard people mention it could be a problem but it worked perfectly for me.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

So looking like using M10 & M8 locking nuts to the rear of the plate then.

For this to work, I'll have to grind down the bosses that are already there for it to fit I think.

I presume I'll also have to cut down the bolt lengths to suit as well - although they can go partially into the the orginal bosses if need be.

With the oil plate, I'll need to remove the plate in full, clean down, remove the studs, renew the studs and plate gasket, then put the original plate back on, with the new plate supplied sitting inside the recess on the outisde. Then put the 4 nuts back on. Obviously I'll need to drain down the oil first.

This make sense?

In regards to the potential leaks that this adapter may cause etc. I'm at the stage where I don't have any other choice anyway, as the bosses are pretty much knackered and cant be re-tapped. Not ideal I know, but it seems many people don't have an issue with them.

Thanks for any help chaps.

Latest posts