Help with a Headlight problem

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redstar5

Reaction score
Can anyone help with my headlight problem.

I have a 1972 crossover which has had halogen conversion fitted by a previous owner.
The problem I have is that the right hand side dipped beam seems to be on in every position of the switch.

Sidelights: both sidelights are on and the right hand dipped beam
Headlights: Both are on but the right hand side is a lot brighter.
Full beam: both are on but low beam stays on also on the right hand side. Left hand is fine with a clear difference in the beam pattern between high and low.

The left hand headlight and side light works fine throughout.

I also seem to have some spare wires, maybe as a result of the conversion.

The connections are as follows.

Right hand side:
Side lights 1 to earth
1 grey

Headlight: Red to Earth
1 Black and yellow
1 Black and white

Spare wires: 1 Brown, Green and yellow to fuse 3, 1 Brown and white, 1 double brown with earth connector.

Left hand side:
Side lights 1 to earth
1 to double grey

Headlight: Red to earth
1 Yellow
1 White

Spare wires: 1 Double Brown with earth connector, 1 Single Brown,

Any help appreciated.
I just need some pointers as to what I should check.

Cheers

Have you looked at the wiring diragrams here?:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

what exactly do you mean by a halogen conversion? are they now sealed beam units or has he just swapped the bulbs over to H4 with adaptors?
I would have thought either way all the wires were still required, unless its an import that had running lights(think that what they are called).

The lights are a sealed unit with H4 bulbs.
I assumed they were from a late bay as I have a late bay clip on the front and the headlight rims have only one screw.
Its definitely not an import.
I have the wiring diagrams from the Bentley book and it all seams to about right but I wondered if I should be checking the earth connections or renewing the switch or maybe renewing the relay.
I think theres probably a clue in the way the right hand dipped beam is a lot brighter than the left but I dont know what this means

Cheers.

Latest posts