Here’s my project dormo!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingermonkey321

Reaction score
Finally got sorted with Tapatalk, I’ll get some pics up.

72 crossover with a mahusive home made red high top. Bought on a whim as it looked like it needed some love, I’ve a small family and We want to have some great trips once we’ve fixed it up and it’s in a better state...!
Brought down from Scotland earlier this year and one previous owner only. Drove it away on the day and 300 miles later arrived at home with not a single bother

Lots of work to do but engine first job, carb, clutch, elec ignition, push rods sorted so far. Returned it to stock exhaust as it sounded like a dragster due to the trumpet things it had on (plus holes in manifold). New starter motor and shocks too.

Now time to focus on the body. I can’t weld so will be taking to a pro, might need to source some panels from you super people...will add to this thread.

Here’s some pics from last few weeks!

f36fcd31b54d0b89ca86e72694361bd6.jpg
2c98a9a69f2dc262298202035fc120f7.jpg
de6b4e8fc55552a38ab42a41d8e592b1.jpg

Hopefully these upload ok, will add more as I go on. Plan is to get the roof off and fit the proper dormo roof (now sourced) that it would have had originally.

If anyone fancies a leak free high top roof once I get it off let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmmm, suspect a wee bit of filler...PO was a bit handy with fibre glass too from a bit of digging in. Underneath is sound, there are belly pans but all ok underneath on further inspection.

I'll need both rear tubs replacing, plus seatbelt mounts and a bit of the floor around the offside tub over to where it meets the c pillar.
There's a hole to the right of the drivers seat now (love a bit of prodding with a screwdriver!) I think the drivers cab floor is a bit thin, and rear arches and skin look to have separated on the flared arch...

Front arches look ok, but a bit lumpy which is always a worry..

I do need a decent offside step/bumper section, irons are ok though, random how just that section is rotten, rest of front bumper is sound.

Therefore anyone with any rear panels/tubs/cab floor for sale please let me know.

Also, advice always welcome, done some car work before, but this is my first crack at a full project like this, spending a fair bit of time sourcing stuff at the mo.

gingermonkey321 said:
.... Underneath is sound, there are belly pans but all ok underneath on further inspection.

My belly pans on my '71 Dormobile hid rotten chassis rails and jacking points etc. (they hold moisture!) I've removed them now to allow the underside to drain adequately!

Looks like fun. I bought one very similar. Happy to tinker but I am in no way a welder so had to source it out. I take it by what your saying you are welding this yourself? All the usual suspects, JK Heritage etc do panels. Keep the photos coming butty

Best way. Get it done straight then put it back together yourself. I learned so much doing that. I think if you can do minor repairs and fault find yourself it can save u money and time spent on the side of the road.

Any updates??? Just bought my 1st early bay inspired by projects but am personally usless me ☹️ so end up paying out a fortune the joys of Quitting drunk drugs & cigarettes 🚬 spend it on Dubs good luck mate here’s mine

Few months have passed and the big red thing has started to shed it's rusty bits.

I also took out the interior to see what was what.

Needed tubs, and pretty much all the usual places near the ground...

Oh and once the hi top came off it left this...

It was a dormobile judging by the interior, so my intention is to reinstate all the bits that have been lost or removed over the last 40 odd years.
The PO (only one!) had it in Western Scotland and he modified it to live in half the year. Got a nice book full of all the engine work since mid 70s.
Three engines over that time - 270k with current engine (stock 1600) being a reconditioned one with about 30k on it.
The van ran very well when I picked it up and handled the 300 miles back no sweat. It hadn't run for 6 months prior due to the chap ill health and sadly he died and left the van to his elderly brother.

I knew the van would/will be a lot of work and whilst I am only armed with basic skills and Bentley it was the right call to get it and completely a project to learn and hope for the best. For work I spend all week in front of a lap top, so to get stuck into this is a breath of fresh air and meant I had to sort my garage out..!

Took everything off and junior helped out too...

Happily, I know my limits and the van went to be welded...
New roof, rear corners, arches (72 only translates to me as extra cost, delays and irritation frankly)

These are bloody lovely...thanks to Matt (balls'd) for making them up due to a total lack of any on the market (as at Nov 18) and I didn't want cuts.

Here's some more pics of the rot that came out..

By the way, there really are some mega skilled people on here, the guides, advice and insights are making what is a pretty daunting (mainly DIY) resto a whole lot easier to plan and avoid pitfalls...will add progress and some more pic updates laters...cheers Rik

Latest posts