High beam/indicator stalk

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evo1972

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Just want to run something by you before I get too deep in to something.

I recently replaced the ignition housing and switch on my 70 bay. Everything worked fine before disassembly.

On reassembly the high beam side of the stalk does not work. When I investigated further I noticed that the brown/white wire which is the switch wire going to the relay had come off the brass part in the switch/stalk housing. I soldered it back in position but still no joy.

How does this work. I assume looking at the wiring diagram that the brown/white cable acts as an earth switch for the relay. Does it get its earth from the brown (31) cable that goes to the same part in the housing or when you activate the pull switch to go to high beam does the brass part by leverage earth itself against the steering column tube?

To test it I was thinking of connecting up a wire to earth, then with the lights on touch it quickly to the wire going to the relay to see if it activates the switch in beams.

Does that sound like a valid test or am I going to fry the relay

Have you tried a different relay already? I was pulling my hair out with mine when it was working, removed and then refitted within a couple of hours only to have lights (side and dip) and indicators working fine but no beam.... Pulled relay and tried another and it worked fine.... For the life of me I don't know why it chose to shite itself at that point but it did :lol:

Ok bit of an update.

Soldering was crap and wire came free so done it again and got it on good and solid.

Tested continuity through the wire and good. Tested continuity through the brass part in stalk.and end of wire and all good.

Then tapped earth lead on cable going to relay and high beam works so relay is good.

Put it all back together but no joy switching to high beam, until I nudged the lever arm downwards by accident and it changed to high beam. Did it again, low beam and so on.

Don't really want to leave it like this as it supposed to operate with a pull towards you, not a flick away from you.

Anyone any idea how these are supposed to work, how does the switch earth cable make the ground connection, through 31 in the same wire cluster or by the brass part touching the column tube when operated?

The brown and brown/white wires are soldered to bits that are insulated from each other, and continue outward to a set of
contacts which are pushed together when you lift the stalk. This should be easily visible when you view the T/S switch from
the side. I have 4 different 68-71 T/S switches at hand, and none of the stalks can be moved downward: they only move upward in
the normal way. I therefore suspect you have installed the switch upside down, or else yours is broken is some fashion.

kreemoweet said:
The brown and brown/white wires are soldered to bits that are insulated from each other, and continue outward to a set of
contacts which are pushed together when you lift the stalk. This should be easily visible when you view the T/S switch from
the side. I have 4 different 68-71 T/S switches at hand, and none of the stalks can be moved downward: they only move upward in
the normal way. I therefore suspect you have installed the switch upside down, or else yours is broken is some fashion.

All sorted now guys thanks for the advice. The brown wire had detached from the switch. Soldered back in place and all good :)

Latest posts