honest opinion required

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardAlexander

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Westfalia
i have a 69 (feb ,and really a 68 build) Westy, i'm hoping to get the body work and paint restored soon, need to know of any good restorers in Bedfordshire or nearby?

my question is, as much as i love my Westy I'm always packing it full of coolers and carrier bags for when I'm away even for the simple thing like tins of beans, cooker cooler etc. if I'm having the body done i'm toying with the idea of installing a more user friendly interior, one with more cupboards etc. i been looking at the Vanwurks one and i like it, but here's the rub, it wont really be a Westy any more and deep down i feel i'm committing sacrilege. Don't get me wrong its far from a perfect Westy interior but its original.

do or do not ?

It's you bus, your rules :)

Please, leave it be :msn4:

I got someone to make me a cooker unit in place of the buddy seat - check my thread below (page 1 or 2)

I've got the full length full height wardrobe a sink unit and cooker unit. We can get everything we need for three weeks out of site and stored in a sensible way.

D

Bluesnailman said:
I got someone to make me a cooker unit in place of the buddy seat - check my thread below (page 1 or 2)

I've got the full length full height wardrobe a sink unit and cooker unit. We can get everything we need for three weeks out of site and stored in a sensible way.

D

I did much the same thing with my Westy ... took out the buddy seat and replaced it with a galley cabinet with a two-burner stove on top.

I also "hacked" a cabinet to go over the recess for the spare tire (which I moved to the front of the bus). I used a Westie Wardrobe cabinet for parts.

My goal was, and still is, to make it look as much as possible like something that Westfalia might have provided on a custom basis.

I found the Westfalia Berlin interior much more user friendly!!!
If you source & fit one of them, it's still a Westy!!!!!!
Pics on my build thread below, my new crossover!!!

Take it out and sell it dude,they are outdated and useless imo, take up too much room and unuseable, use the funds to buy a new interior

As our friend above said... your bus, your rules!

Personally, if the Westy interior doesn't suit your needs... get yourself a new one and store the original. Then if you ever sell the bus you still have it. :mrgreen:

I have used the Westy interior set up for five years and find it very user friendly. There is loads of storage space and we personally don't have a problem with the 3/4 bed set up, width-wise. Of course I always move the spare wheel before bed!
I have thought about changing the sink/cooler unit for a permanent stove arrangement but we like to use our portable cooker outside the van on the westy prop up shelf more than we cook inside. It's just one of those £10 single burner stoves but that's fine for us. If we need more I have a Coleman two burner, but that's strictly for the awning. Generally the simpler the better.
IMO you'd be better off restoring the westy set up than buying a new interior but it's your bus :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I made the same decision earlier this year with my Riviera interior.

Didn't need sink unit and wardrobe etc.
Removed it and stored it.

Replaced it with a full width RnR bed and now have a much more useable van

Your bus fella. What ever works for you. but don't bin the original interior

I would use midland paintwerks for you body resto. Have a look at their work on their web page, Facebook and on here.
As for the interior it's your bus, personally with 2 kids I don't have a problem with it.

Latest posts