Interior Suggestions

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyO

Reaction score
Good Afternoon All,

Restored my Xover 12 years now and she’s in need of a refresh, so later on this year I’m having some of the body work done.

Whist the Moonraker interior is nice to look its a PITA to use. So thinking of going a bit more modern, rock and roll bed (proper rear seatbelts etc) decent fridge hob etc. Been out of the loop for a few years and aware the’s so much innovation in the VW scene, so asking here for any comments recommendations.

May even do a bit of a build thread here if its of interest?

Unless you really really need loads of storage, I’d opt for a full width rock and roll bed from Rusty Lee or similar. Unless you are a crazy camper chef, I’d toy with the idea of using a portable cooker or two and you can then cook inside or outside, there’s also Ridge Monkees and various other cooking devices with gas. The seat belts work easier too and you can use the raised rear belt points via Davidoft on here or on the LateBay.

Ozziedog,,,,,a rebuild thread inc reasons why will be great :mrgreen:

It depends how much camping you’re going to use it for and your own preferences. After 12 years of ownership you will no doubt have made up your mind about what you like and need in the interior.
The Westy interior works well for us, I like the storage units, and use a portable single burner gas stove as Ozzie says above, so I can cook in or out. One thing I have changed from stock is the cooler which I have changed for a Waeco fridge whilst keeping the stock unit. We did use the cooler with ice packs though for quite a few years before doing this mod. It was quite a lot of money and work for a bit of extra convenience.
If you’re starting from a clean sheet you don’t need to think about retaining the OG units etc so you can do whatever you want. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

AndyO said:
Mike / Ozziedog - thanks very much for the advice. Esp the full vs 3/4 width Rock and Roll bed.

The 3/4 width can be a bit narrow for some so have a think about a custom width R&R from Rusty Lee, or a 1200mm width.

Latest posts