how can i tell if tinware is genuine?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwvanman0

Reaction score
hi all,

im looking to replace my engine tinware with original tin if possible as the aftermarket stuff i have seems a very poor fit.

does anyone know how to tell genuine stuff? is the vw logo stamped anywhere,eg cylinder tin/,and the tins that run under the pushrod tubes.

im guessing that the cali imports are going to be the best source? but any help welcomed.

cheers,steve.

I've seen a good range of second hand tinware at shows. Some traders seem to have little else! Ours is original but I have heard that pattern stuff is thinner, so you would probably tell just by picking it up. When you say it is a poor fit, ours still leaves some gaps, which I've filled with stiff foam rubber, or aluminium plate sikaflexed on. HTH, Bri

Most items are stamped with the VW logo and as baj25 says the original stuff tends to be thicker gauge and therefore heavier. You can tell a lot from the smoothness of the pressing, i.e. there should be no irregular creases and also the edge finish should be good

hope this helps
Ian

OEM is heavier; but be aware that some variations exist, so you might not pick up a breast plate that works with the pulley tin for instance. It should fit really well and cleans up nice if blasted/powdercoated.

Latest posts