How fast in yours?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faux

Reaction score
I'm running this off the back of "How do you drive yours?"

How fast do you drive your bus?, and What does the speedo say?

I have recently started using my Sat Nav in my bus and noticed that when I am driving at 60mph on the speedo I am actually only doing 50mph. A part of this is the front tyre size - 175/55/15's and partly due to the 10% calibration.

But I was just wondering when people say they were driving at 70mph are they just talking about what the speedo says?

I think my engine, with it's current gearbox, would keel over and die at 70mph (real time).

haha.....Well I have got up to 80mph and I don't care what anything else tells me, thats what I do...hehe
But I think a while ago it is about 10% out, I was surprised even in modern cars it is out, but I guess its no bad thing.

Only had mine a few months now but yeah I have smaller wheels/tyres than the originals and did the speedo vs sat nav test, seems to be about 10% out. So if it says 70 it's about 63ish. I'd have to cruise around at 75-80 to be doing 70... :twisted: even with my new engine I don't want to do that! Cruisin at 70 (speedo reading) is fine by me - it's getting to 70 that is more fun for me! 8) woo woo!!

On the rolling road, mine goes up to 89mph :shock: but have had over 90mph going down a large hill in Cornwall :wink:

Shaggy said:
When you say large hill do you mean cliff

:lol: :lol: no it was the one near Launceston, massive hill and foot to the floor, great fun (a friend clocked me speed in his Golf :wink: )

What gear box / engine you running Easy dude?

i dont cruise past 60mph on the speedo which sat nav informs me is 56mph so i'm not that far out! my bag of shite fiesta is that far out according to mr sat nav!

I did get it up to 60 on the sat nav 65 in the speedo for a bit but it was down hill and the engine was very loud!

I've taken mine to 90 on the dial, which is probably about just over 70mph in reality - same issue as Faux with the tyre sizes knocking the speedo calibration out.

My Tom Tom tells me my bus can go 119MPH. :D Sounds like a bit of bhp eh? I'm FINALLY getting it dyno'ed in two weeks to find out exactly what's the score.

the question is do the 'fuzz' clock you with the radar gun at sat nav speeds or speedo speeds? :?

ddffrost said:
What gear box / engine you running Easy dude?

i dont cruise past 60mph on the speedo which sat nav informs me is 56mph so i'm not that far out! my bag of shite fiesta is that far out according to mr sat nav!

I did get it up to 60 on the sat nav 65 in the speedo for a bit but it was down hill and the engine was very loud!

I have a 1600 vege engine with a few little cheeky mods :wink: and twin 34icts, gearbox is slightly uprgraded (done before i had it) so im not entirely sure, but i sit at 60 - 70 all day and can go allot more but never want to as a brick doing 70+ is a bit scary! :shock: :wink:

bays are the sort of vehicle you get into and want to amble along anyways :D

When i get into the daily (Golf 130PS (chipped) ) i cant help myself and drive like a looney shouting at anyone that makes a mistake. In the van 40mph seems like 90mph anyway and i feel sorry for the old girl when she starts to scream at 60ish :lol:

I know what you mean Jonny I only go in the slow lane but i wouldnt mind a bit higher crusining speed cos sitting at 55 mph on a 200 mile drive can get very very boring lol.

I guess there's always the ridicilous amount of play in the steering and lorries sucking you in as they go past to keep things interesting!

ddffrost said:
I know what you mean Jonny I only go in the slow lane but i wouldnt mind a bit higher crusining speed cos sitting at 55 mph on a 200 mile drive can get very very boring lol.

I guess there's always the ridicilous amount of play in the steering and lorries sucking you in as they go past to keep things interesting!

I'm with you on this one.

I will be putting in my 1303s box sometime soon just so I can cruise at 60/65 without overdoing my poor old 1600sp. But any faster than that would scare the shite out of me. I think the combination of narrowed front end, old steering box (reconditiooned recently) technology and poor aerodynamics make for an interesting ride.

The great thing about a camper is - as soon as you sit in it you feel like you are on holiday. Though this does ware a bit thin on very long journeys. We are planning to travel to Le Mans in August....1200 mile round trip!!!!!

I think my speedo is about 12% out now.....

Can't do the slow lane thing
mybay023-1.jpg

I agree with Fauz and Johnny! I get in my van and it is instant :) :D 8)

Been sucked in by lorries too...and blown all over the place...all makes it interesting, like driving a brick as you all say.

If I wanted to drive fast I'd get another bike! :mrgreen:

Vans are for cruisin.... 8) (mine is at least anyways)

When I bought mine I was told it would cruise all day at 70 but they must have been deaf and fearless! With a stock 1600 sp I reckon 60 on motorways is fine and no rush to get there. One thing I love about aircooled motoring is that you can't really do aggressive, you have to be calm and let the beamers fight it out bumper to bumper in the outside lane.

Vans aren't quick but they have the best ride position known to humanity- 200 miles in my Mazda 323 and I've got a bad back and wierdly wobbly legs, 300 in the van and I'm all smiles.

Hi all!

Well, I have had mine off the clock to the stop :shock:

Shame it's the speedo that's miles out. 30mph is 40 on the clock, 75 is 55 etc.... :(

I go along with the gps and chill @ 50-55mph pretty much all the time, it's a stock 1600TP :D

Alistair

Latest posts