How fast in yours?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rosko said:
When I bought mine I was told it would cruise all day at 70 but they must have been deaf and fearless! With a stock 1600 sp I reckon 60 on motorways is fine and no rush to get there. One thing I love about aircooled motoring

I'm with you mate on that one lol

I'll be fitting a 1303s box as soon as Tim gets the conversion kit in and i get round to refurbing the box i already bought dont want to stick any old shite in my pride and joy.

Eventually coupled with a 1776 with twin 40's me thinks

65mph crusin here i come!

Off the clock a few times.....i know ive hit the ton before but wouldnt want to do that too often :lol:

It is nice to be able to overtake others though if needed and funny to see peoples faces as you pass them in the fast lane :lol:

I have to say I'm so glad I went for bigger tyres before I splashed out on a different box. With my stock box and big tyres I now get 70mph at 3000 rpm.

I've mine off the clock a couple of times, and my tyres are 165/65/14s, which isn't that different from stockers I belive.
I think realistically it was just under the 90 mark. :oops:

I do around 3500 revs for 70mph and I have 205 70 15s 8)

My speedo reads about 70-75 when i actually doing more like 60-65.

With the twin drlas it has some extra oomph but is still no speed machine. On cruises to RTTS etc other VW owners have been surprised by my ability to actually drive up hills!

Olson said:
I've mine off the clock a couple of times, and my tyres are 165/65/14s, which isn't that different from stockers I belive.
I think realistically it was just under the 90 mark. :oops:

my 175/65/14s read 12% over if I remember correctly, so yours will be even higher than that.
Try here: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
stock tyres are 185/80/14 or 185/82/14 cant remember which one.

Yep, mine also reads about 10mph out. At 70 i'm doin 60 by the tom tom.
At 65mph on the tom tom i'm reving at around 4k rpm! I have the slowest van whenever i'm cruzing :cry: But i have a pair of 36 dells and a Turbo Thomas stainless tuckaway on the way :p I really need to sort out a 1303s box soon.

easy said:
I do around 3500 revs for 70mph and I have 205 70 15s 8)

Yep, them's the daddies. I wanted some 205 75 15s but could not find any in the UK. I run low profile tyres on the front so the speedo isn't that far out either.

I persuaded my van to do an indicated (speedo) 80 before, on the flat and fully loaded to the window level throughout with surfboards and camping paraphernalia for 10 people.

More recently, I've fitted the correct air filter and stock exhaust, and it will do 65 comfortably, but seems to be 72-75mph tops. I wouldn't push it that hard regularly though.

I dont honestly know what mine will do i've not pushed it past 65 cos its screaming its nuts off but i do have pretty big tyres on the back 185's

Mines got a 1641 lump on a single carb and will happily cruise at 65 -70 all day according to the speedo but after checking it with my Tom Tom I know that 70 equates to 64mph. I'm running 185/65/15's

Olson your 165's are miles away from stock and your speedo will be well over reading with those fitted,

Me....around 45 -50 around and about - 55ish + on motorways. Other half throws it around all over - at least 60 - 65 and more if he can get away with it. I don't worry about the speed - it's more about the braking if someone does something stupid in front. It's a 1641.

I had my bay at over 85mph on the speedo and i can only describe it as a very scary experience with cross winds on the M5! Great fun tho when you're in the outside lane passing bmw's and sprinter vans!
Bays prefere cruising at around 65ish tho, i bought a Passat V6 to replace the speed i don't get with the bus!

Got a stock 1600 with twin Kadrons & usually stay around the 65 to 70 mark on the speedo with stock wheels & tyres (dunno what that equates to in real money)

I just go with what the engine sounds OK with, some days seems different that others tho :roll: :lol: :lol:

I wanted some 205 75 15s but could not find any in the UK.

My bug has 205/70/15's on the rear wheels. They're "Bridgestone Duellers" - might help in locating some :?

Mine will now do the ton (2017cc + 2ltr box) but I prefer to cruise at 65 - 75 which is 3000 to 3500 rpm, since above this speed it requires a lot of concentration and the fuel consumption drops a lot.

I spend all day zooming up and down the motor in a benz diesel shouting at people :lol: :lol: and then get in the van on weekends and cruse at 90mph and I've even had it off the clock :oops: , when I took the sat nav last weekend to a BBQ I finally realised that 90mph is actual 55mph :? :? , I new it was out but didn't expect that much, no wonder I get beep at when I slow down for camera's :roll:

Latest posts