How Hard can it be? Fitting a Narrowed front beam......

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinTopaway

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has fitted a narrowed front beam?

Any tips?

How long does it take?

Any help would be wicked....!

Ian

Hello mate,

Ive got one fitted, probably gone for the most expensive option, but i think its also the best. I have a Creative Engineering weedeater front beam narrowed 3.75 iches, with creative adjustable shocks and its a pleasure to fit. Bolts straight on miles easier than the original!

You do have to do a couple of things first tho and bear in mind another couple. Torsion leaves have to be shortened (all instructions are included with the beam) and then your arms have to be either adjustable or shortened (adjustable is best i think) this allows for the new parts to go straight in and bobs your uncle, rude ride and fully adjustable so you can lower the front to the floor if you wish :wink:

edited due to be being a mis spelling chimp :roll: cheers J&M :wink:

easy said:
3.75 iches

i might have the very thing for that....

563px-Back_scratcher.jpg

that aint my hairy ass btw :lol:

sorry you were on a roll there.. :lol:

what do you mean by adjustable arms? do you need to modify the trailing arms? before fitting the beam?

I have fitted a CB performance 2" narrowed beam, it was dead easy. The hardest part was narrowing and redrilling the leaves. I would definitely recommend the creative beam though. I had one on my last split and the quality was far superior to the CB. I just didn't wat to go quite so narrow (Especially as the wheels I wanted have a good offset). PM if you want to talk through exactly what I did.

Jon

P050508_092401.jpg

DSC00712.jpg

DSC00686.jpg

Thanks Guys,

The stance on your bus is spot on!!

I have a 3" beam and i'm thinking that will too much.........! The 2" looks great!

Who said bigger was better hey!!

It is for my 1970 Tin Top and i'm fitting front disc from a 71 and JGE raders....

What kind of time did it take to fit?

i bought the same beam as easy. ball joint weadeater. rebuilt the arms with new ball joints which was a real ass but should be worth it. and spent this week building it up, 1 hour a day so complete job will take about two weeks. id say go for the narrowest beam you can. you can always space the wheels out. bare in mind that you know you'll end up going for dropped spindles or porker brakes etc which all widen the track a bit. it would be a shame to go through a full build up then want an extra inch or two

andewilson said:
i bought the same beam as easy. ball joint weadeater. rebuilt the arms with new ball joints which was a real ass but should be worth it. and spent this week building it up, 1 hour a day so complete job will take about two weeks. id say go for the narrowest beam you can. you can always space the wheels out. bare in mind that you know you'll end up going for dropped spindles or porker brakes etc which all widen the track a bit. it would be a shame to go through a full build up then want an extra inch or two

thats good advice....

i have cookie cutters and adapters and will probably go for dropped spindles eventually so ill loose all that tuck anyway even with a 3 3/4 narrowed :)

dagboyblue said:
i f**king love narrowed beams wish i had the wedge :( :( :lol:

Make you own! see my add for beam plates in forsale.....

cheer

Andy

Hi Ian

It took me about 3 hours to fit, but I had fitted everything up before hand so it was a case of:
*Undoing all cables and hoses,
*Drop the old beam
*Fit up new beam
*Re-fit cables and leed brakes

I am a complete novice really and I managed it easily on my own.

As for handling, I find the bus is fine round corners etc but is a bit twitchy with bumps etc. I have used a king and link pin set up and 3 1/2" dropped spindles so it is a soft ride.

If you are going to use ball joint with a narrowed beam and NO dropped spindles then be prepared for a harsh ride. Firstly, narrowed leaves will uprate the suspension and secondly, the ball joints will be maxing out and the shocks will have very little travel.

I hope this helps.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thankz for the reply.....

I was going to use ball joint and no dropped spindles..! Im on a budget......

Who does good dropped spindles,what kind of money are they? Is this something i can fit at a later date?

Your help is excllent,

Cheers

Hi Ian - No problem

I'm not sure about ball joint dropped spindles, Slammedresto is a good person to talk to. I think Cool Air get them in sometimes, and yes you can do it at a later date.

I would consider the king and link pin route unless you have bought parts already, but the ball joint route with dropped spindles does seem to work well especially when teamed with a weedeater beam.

There's only way to find out....!!!

It's booked in with Mark at the Bus Station for the works....

Can't wait to get some piccys of her on the site....

Sweet as a nut...

faux said:
Hi Ian - No problem

I'm not sure about ball joint dropped spindles, Slammedresto is a good person to talk to. I think Cool Air get them in sometimes, and yes you can do it at a later date.

I would consider the king and link pin route unless you have bought parts already, but the ball joint route with dropped spindles does seem to work well especially when teamed with a weedeater beam.

Ive gone the ball joint beam way on my new bus (parts arriving with my bus)

4" narrowed, adjustable beam with ball joint dropped spindles, Full bolt on complete beam from Wagenwest

Also comes with bustang disc brakes too :mrgreen:

nate @ wagenwest is the best person to speak too

Complete kit? really!!

If you could PM how much that cost that would be excellent!

Ian

http://www.Brightonbaysandsplits.com

TinTopaway said:
Complete kit? really!!

If you could PM how much that cost that would be excellent!

Ian

http://www.Brightonbaysandsplits.com

same here id love to know plus duty etc?

Latest posts