How I built my Interior units for my '72 Bay. FINISHED!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Steve,

Phew, all them years in the making, and now nearly ready, will be great to see it out and about, its really too nice to use it, you'll have to start on another project to use as your daily, you can start on mine if you like....

Ah yes, aren't repro parts great? :roll:

Might have to catch you at the Fling, not sure if i can make it at the moment

Alistair

Hi guys,

Here's the photos as promised. I'll start with the steering rubber coupling!

Replaced my original one because it was badly cracked with a repro one from GSF. After the steering column was reassembled we found that everytime we turned the steering wheel the horn went! Karl checked all the wiring out for a short through the steering column but couldn't find anything. Spent ages and ages testing everything. The steering column which takes the steering wheel as you all know is isolated from the outer tube. The wire that runs from the horn push runs through the center of the column and connects up to the rubber coupling which connects to the steering box. The horn works by pushing the horn push which earths the hooter out through the steering box. After lots of head scratching and testing everything in sight, we decided we'd have to take the column out again. Once the column was out we just left the center tube which the steering wheel fits on to connected to the rubber connector which is then bolted to the steering box. We then put a continouty metre on and a pair of mole grips on the steering tube. We could then turn the mole grips as if we was turning the steering wheel and when we was turning the column once again the buzzer sounded on the metre. We then knew it had to be the coupling that was causing the trouble!

On taking the rubber coupling off, we then pushed out one of the steel bushes and could then see a ring of steel around the inside looking through the hole. The original coupling is made up in sandwiches of rubber and webbing and then the four holes are punched out and the four steel inserts are put in. This way the four inserts are totally isolated from each other, which then in turn isolates your steering column from your steering box. We decided to cut open the new steering coupling. On cutting it open we could then immediately see what the problem was! Cheap repro rubbish!!! As Karl said, somebody making something which is totally unsuitable for its purpose! Not only did we consider this totally useless, we also wondered how long it would last because as you all know there is quite a lot of tension on that rubber when you're turning. See the photos below for what we found!

57871258.jpg

65165386.jpg

52500062.jpg

Took it back to GSF and never really got a satisfactory answer as usual, just got blank looks! Came away with my money back. As you all know, this is the sort of thing we're all up against which is cheap repro rubbish flooding the scene!

Also ordered some rearlight pod seal rubbers from Heritage, the ones that go round the back of the light pod and cushion up against your body work and also ordered the ones the lens would cushion on to from the pods. What turned up was an absolute joke! What they sent was a piece of round rubber about 4mm in diameter cut to length. This wouldn't go anywhere near the groove it was supposed to fit in! They also sent the same thing for the inner seal. For that I guess they probably charged £20 (Karl ordered them) which he will be returning! I ended up making my own seals out of some rubber that my friend gave me some years back. Fitted absolutely perfect, right size and dimensions and cost nothing! We know when we contact Heritage we're going to get the same answer, nobodies complained before etc... But as you all know it's one step forwards and 6 steps backwards!

Anyone considering changing their steering coupling, my advice would be to try and source a genuine NOS one. I was lucky enough to have Karls friend donate one to the project for me, cheers Karl.

I checked out all the couplings I could see at Brighton on the weekend and they were all by the same manufacturer which was the rubbish I bought!

Moving on...

The next picture is of the electronic speedo sensor which Karl has mounted directly behind the speedo which if you've seen the previous pictures, you'll know was made out of the old speedo and runs off the speedo cable which then gives us the rotating drum with four magnets on which the sensor then picks up.

77178497.jpg

Also shows a picture of the back of the LED's which are now used for indicators, oil light, ignition light and main beam. Really pleased with the way these look from the front.

15470579.jpg

Here you can see the outer seals bleeding. This is the Waxoyl dripping out.

23649235.jpg

These were taken before the final spray with Waxoyl.

81204982.jpg

99482989.jpg

48483236.jpg

The bus is now sitting on its four wheels, off of the lifting jig. Probably the first time in 18 months! The belly pans are now back on which we finished in black gloss powdercoat. We've also refitted the bellypan at the front and the one that Karl made to cover the remote servo. These too are in black gloss powdercoat. These were fitted after the whole of the underside was sprayed with black Waxoyl. There is probably 3+ gallon gone on this bus! The underneath looks absolutely stunning. I'll try and get some pictures when it goes to the MOT next week.

Now for the nice bits! I have at long last fitted my table top brackets! Well worth the weeks work making them by hand in the shed. I've also fitted my interior rear view mirror. For the eagle eyed of you out there, see if you can spot what vehicle this mirror is from. It is not a 68 Bay but it is vintage Volkswagen. Really pleased with it and I know Karl is as well. I picked this mirror up a couple of years ago at Volksworld, it was in the parts fair upstairs laying in a box under a table. Didn't know what it was off of at the time, just thought it'd look cool on my bus. It's turned out when I researched it, it is a one year only mirror. Can't remember if I've already put what it is but have a guess... Paid £7 for it.

99379390.jpg

73281432.jpg

37963503.jpg

71239900.jpg

35009885.jpg

51189155.jpg

Here's Karl beavering away at the paintwork again.

67707066.jpg

I came back Friday evening and we now have no parts left in the parts box. Yippee! We've now got all the door cards fitted. Had horrendous problems with door rubbers where the doors wouldn't shut properly and were sticking out 10-12mm. These are genuine VW rubbers with part numbers on which I've had for a few years, think they were made in the 80's so they should have been spot on. We know they were seated properly around the edge of the door, ended up taking them off and dyegrinding about 8-10mm off the back all the way around. Doors now shut properly.

Also fitted my parcel shelf and have just got the centre section to fit once we wire up the 12v socket then put my kick panels in and the very nice grills that Karl made that go over the heating duct on the totum. Not sure if you've seen them yet? So we're literally only 2-3 days away from the finishing line now. Just got the paintwork to finish polishing, check the gear linkage for smooth operation and clutch adjustment, fine tune the engine, good valet and then MOT.

Providing we don't get any trouble with the security side of things, for obvious reasons I've never said what we've done to the vehicle, it's first debut outing will be (honest!), the Final Fling. Haha!

If any of you guys are there, please come over and say hello so I can then thank you personally for all your comments you've given over the last few years.

The next post I put up will be of the finished article!

The Final Fling is the 27th and 28th October at Woolacombe. This is always a really good weekend so hope to see you all there.

Once again thanks for looking.

Regards.

Steve.

Cant wait for those final pictures!

If the van ever ventures north for a show or two you must post so I can come and drool in person :lol:

Hi guys,

It's the post you've all been waiting for...

IT'S FINALLY FINISHED!!! :bliss: :party0047: :party0009: :party0048: :party0049: :party0053:

We came right down to the wire for the MOT on Saturay morning. Had problems getting 1st and 2nd gear. Karl eventually tracked this down. Believe it or not, the ring on the end of the front gear linkage tube, the one where it bolts on to the main tube that runs through the chassis, had decide to come adrift. Karl had to remove and then reweld. So if ever you take that off to do any work on your bus, check it out and put some weld around it just to make sure.

Got down to the MOT bay about 10:30 Saturday morning with Karl driving it down and I met him there. As you can guess, my first question to Karl was what it drives like? "It's completely silent inside, you can even hear the clock tick! Extremely smooth ride. The engine is extremely smooth and torquey, excellent brakes and steering".

It sailed through the MOT so we took it back to the work shop, did a few of the final nice jobs such as finish putting the parcel shelf, kick panels and hoovering the inside. I left Karl at 17:30 on Sunday evening but couldn't return to London without having a quick drive!

Took it around the block for 3-4 minutes, not long enough to really see what the bus is like but I just needed to ride it around. Come home well pleased!

I said to Karl at the MOT station, it was exactly 4 years and 4 months to the day from me dropping it off at Karls to it passing the MOT!

Late Sunday afternoon we was both standing there looking at it and I think Karl was as pleased with it as I am. I shall be picking it up from Karls on Friday evening and taking it to the Final Fling at Woolacombe on Saturday morning. Weather permitting, I'll take some nice shots of it all around and with the interior all finished. I shall post them up on my return.

Weather permitting I will stay down for a few days after the Fling so I can put a few miles on it and then we can check the Tappets, give it an oil change and then I can bring it home!

If any of you are going to the Fling, please come over and say hello.

There are a few pictures I took at the MOT station. I took a few of the underneath while it was on the ramps. Pictures just don't do it any justice!

img4334wi.jpg

img4333av.jpg

img4332l.jpg

img4331w.jpg

img4330df.jpg

And here it is in all its glory (but still not cleaned up)!

img4329p.jpg

img4328d.jpg

img4327i.jpg

Cheers guys, thanks for all your support and cheers for looking. I'll post up again with more pictures in a couple of weeks.

Regards.

Steve.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Stunning and we all cannot wait to see a full spread in one of the VW mags, as it truly deserves it.

J.

Congrats Steve that is fantastic news mate! It was great to chat with you at BB a true enthusiast!...and now to see you have your project done as we say down under....totally stoked! Wish I wasn't so busy and it wasn't so far because I'd love to come across and check it out at Final Fling but I'm sure we will catch up again soon! Cheers!

Shane.

8) I've seen it for real & its amazing , i stood there looking at it & just kept spotting loads of different points
that are done so well, a truly superb job, well done to Carl, Lee but most of all to Steve & Cath, well done !! 8)

Really enjoyed following this story and I'm sure it will repay you many times over Steve just driving it. Really sorry I won't be at Final Fling now as originally planned but sure hope to see it in the flesh next year

Great, great job

Hotrod said:
Hi guys,

Here's the photos as promised. I'll start with the steering rubber coupling!

Replaced my original one because it was badly cracked with a repro one from GSF. After the steering column was reassembled we found that everytime we turned the steering wheel the horn went! Karl checked all the wiring out for a short through the steering column but couldn't find anything. Spent ages and ages testing everything. The steering column which takes the steering wheel as you all know is isolated from the outer tube. The wire that runs from the horn push runs through the center of the column and connects up to the rubber coupling which connects to the steering box. The horn works by pushing the horn push which earths the hooter out through the steering box. After lots of head scratching and testing everything in sight, we decided we'd have to take the column out again. Once the column was out we just left the center tube which the steering wheel fits on to connected to the rubber connector which is then bolted to the steering box. We then put a continouty metre on and a pair of mole grips on the steering tube. We could then turn the mole grips as if we was turning the steering wheel and when we was turning the column once again the buzzer sounded on the metre. We then knew it had to be the coupling that was causing the trouble!

Hope to see the finished article at the Final Fling then. CAN'T WAIT!

On taking the rubber coupling off, we then pushed out one of the steel bushes and could then see a ring of steel around the inside looking through the hole. The original coupling is made up in sandwiches of rubber and webbing and then the four holes are punched out and the four steel inserts are put in. This way the four inserts are totally isolated from each other, which then in turn isolates your steering column from your steering box. We decided to cut open the new steering coupling. On cutting it open we could then immediately see what the problem was! Cheap repro rubbish!!! As Karl said, somebody making something which is totally unsuitable for its purpose! Not only did we consider this totally useless, we also wondered how long it would last because as you all know there is quite a lot of tension on that rubber when you're turning. See the photos below for what we found!

57871258.jpg

65165386.jpg

52500062.jpg

Took it back to GSF and never really got a satisfactory answer as usual, just got blank looks! Came away with my money back. As you all know, this is the sort of thing we're all up against which is cheap repro rubbish flooding the scene!

Also ordered some rearlight pod seal rubbers from Heritage, the ones that go round the back of the light pod and cushion up against your body work and also ordered the ones the lens would cushion on to from the pods. What turned up was an absolute joke! What they sent was a piece of round rubber about 4mm in diameter cut to length. This wouldn't go anywhere near the groove it was supposed to fit in! They also sent the same thing for the inner seal. For that I guess they probably charged £20 (Karl ordered them) which he will be returning! I ended up making my own seals out of some rubber that my friend gave me some years back. Fitted absolutely perfect, right size and dimensions and cost nothing! We know when we contact Heritage we're going to get the same answer, nobodies complained before etc... But as you all know it's one step forwards and 6 steps backwards!

Anyone considering changing their steering coupling, my advice would be to try and source a genuine NOS one. I was lucky enough to have Karls friend donate one to the project for me, cheers Karl.

I checked out all the couplings I could see at Brighton on the weekend and they were all by the same manufacturer which was the rubbish I bought!

Moving on...

The next picture is of the electronic speedo sensor which Karl has mounted directly behind the speedo which if you've seen the previous pictures, you'll know was made out of the old speedo and runs off the speedo cable which then gives us the rotating drum with four magnets on which the sensor then picks up.

77178497.jpg

Also shows a picture of the back of the LED's which are now used for indicators, oil light, ignition light and main beam. Really pleased with the way these look from the front.

15470579.jpg

Here you can see the outer seals bleeding. This is the Waxoyl dripping out.

23649235.jpg

These were taken before the final spray with Waxoyl.

81204982.jpg

99482989.jpg

48483236.jpg

The bus is now sitting on its four wheels, off of the lifting jig. Probably the first time in 18 months! The belly pans are now back on which we finished in black gloss powdercoat. We've also refitted the bellypan at the front and the one that Karl made to cover the remote servo. These too are in black gloss powdercoat. These were fitted after the whole of the underside was sprayed with black Waxoyl. There is probably 3+ gallon gone on this bus! The underneath looks absolutely stunning. I'll try and get some pictures when it goes to the MOT next week.

Now for the nice bits! I have at long last fitted my table top brackets! Well worth the weeks work making them by hand in the shed. I've also fitted my interior rear view mirror. For the eagle eyed of you out there, see if you can spot what vehicle this mirror is from. It is not a 68 Bay but it is vintage Volkswagen. Really pleased with it and I know Karl is as well. I picked this mirror up a couple of years ago at Volksworld, it was in the parts fair upstairs laying in a box under a table. Didn't know what it was off of at the time, just thought it'd look cool on my bus. It's turned out when I researched it, it is a one year only mirror. Can't remember if I've already put what it is but have a guess... Paid £7 for it.

99379390.jpg

73281432.jpg

37963503.jpg

71239900.jpg

35009885.jpg

51189155.jpg

Here's Karl beavering away at the paintwork again.

67707066.jpg

I came back Friday evening and we now have no parts left in the parts box. Yippee! We've now got all the door cards fitted. Had horrendous problems with door rubbers where the doors wouldn't shut properly and were sticking out 10-12mm. These are genuine VW rubbers with part numbers on which I've had for a few years, think they were made in the 80's so they should have been spot on. We know they were seated properly around the edge of the door, ended up taking them off and dyegrinding about 8-10mm off the back all the way around. Doors now shut properly.

Also fitted my parcel shelf and have just got the centre section to fit once we wire up the 12v socket then put my kick panels in and the very nice grills that Karl made that go over the heating duct on the totum. Not sure if you've seen them yet? So we're literally only 2-3 days away from the finishing line now. Just got the paintwork to finish polishing, check the gear linkage for smooth operation and clutch adjustment, fine tune the engine, good valet and then MOT.

Providing we don't get any trouble with the security side of things, for obvious reasons I've never said what we've done to the vehicle, it's first debut outing will be (honest!), the Final Fling. Haha!

If any of you guys are there, please come over and say hello so I can then thank you personally for all your comments you've given over the last few years.

The next post I put up will be of the finished article!

The Final Fling is the 27th and 28th October at Woolacombe. This is always a really good weekend so hope to see you all there.

Once again thanks for looking.

Regards.

Steve.

Hi guys,

Here are some pictures I took of the finished bus last weekend. It's not fully cleaned up yet as it's too cold!

Performance wise, the bus is extremely quiet inside, allowing you to talk in a whisper and hear your sound system, very little road noise! The brakes are superb, running a refurbed stock system with a remote servo.

The engine performance couldn't be better! It pulls extremely well, effortless climbing hills in top, really tractable and lots of torque. The engine has now done about 700 miles so is still tight and returning about 25mpg at the moment. All in all, it drives like a modern vehicle!

Overall, really nice to drive! Forgot what it was like to be buffeted around in the wind so I'll have to get used to that again! I also uprated the headlights which you can see in the photos. Carl also fitted high powered bulbs and I can't stress how good the lights are now! When I get back in my Vauxhall van, the headlights are like two candles in comparison!!!

Really chuffed with the sound system, it's a 600w Alpine system which I can play the Ipod through and is also linked to the Nicam TV. Performance wise it is unbelievably good!

The heating is now superb, running the original 1970's heat exchangers which were heat wrapped and the centre tube through the bus I lagged again over the top of the existing lagging using foam camping mats covered in silver tape which works really well! As for the little louvres on the totem pole, as you might remember we cut these out and made our own grills to pulled the kick panel tight to the totem pole, what a difference this has made! It now blasts out on to your shins, not like it used to be firing out the bottom of the louvre down the back of the kick panel!

The problem is, now I'm paranoid where ever I go in it and won't leave it unattended anywhere at the moment but I suppose this will pass eventually!

Here they are:

camper2r.jpg

camper4p.jpg

camper5i.jpg

camper6.jpg

camper7.jpg

camper8.jpg

camper9.jpg

camper10.jpg

camper11n.jpg

camper12e.jpg

camper13.jpg