how much do i pay for twin webbers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Drake

Reaction score
I have been offered a pair of webber 36's they are in a bit of a state and need an overhaul
how much do i offer .I don't want to rip off the bloke or get ripped off myself :)

what do you class as a bit of a state?

grubby, worn, abused and banged etc......

place of manufacture and age is a significant pointer too

They've got a bit of a fur coat thing going on .they need new gaskets etc

are they in use, in a manky old cardboard box, whats he saying they were are like, can you believe/trust him....

on top of what Araon says....do they have the correct manifolds & all the linkage as you can spend a heap on the "missing bits"

:lol: knew i forgot something ......basically its impossible to say without a full appraisal and a lot of info.....you could end up forking out a lot of dosh after the original purchase just to get them running properly and after all that have very little of the original carbs left....or you may stumble upon a pair of gems....

yea know about the missing bits cost ,probably looking at£250 min even if they are in a reasonably good condition . THey were on a alfa powerd kit car (thought they were dellortos ) last summer ,it failed MOT so was broken up

Jim Drake said:
yea know about the missing bits cost ,probably looking at£250 min even if they are in a reasonably good condition . THey were on a alfa powerd kit car (thought they were dellortos ) last summer ,it failed MOT so was broken up

@ £250+ I would give them a miss - you can get a set of properly reconditioned dellorto 36 DRLAs correctly jetted for your engine & ready to fit delivered to your door for £300 (thats even with the poor exchange rate at the moment).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-PORSCHE-DELLORTO-DRLA-36-CARBURETORS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1683Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3911Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem250416161786QQitemZ250416161786QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought a set of these last year off this guy & cant recommend him enough ;)

i bought a set of genuine webber 36's this time last year for 120 notes. Posted them off to the states for a total clean, rejet, drilled and refurb at a cost of $200 postage was about $35

Just got off the phone to eurocarbs. The chap said if they were dellorto's probably worth a punt ,but a lot of the parts for weber 36's are discontinued so not worth it .Exactly what you chaps said.Many thanks :D

Hi, thanks or the ifo...only one question, if I get the carbs from that guy on ebay you mention before, who do I get the rest of the bits from? I mean, filters,likage,etc...

ibérico said:
Hi, thanks or the ifo...only one question, if I get the carbs from that guy on ebay you mention before, who do I get the rest of the bits from? I mean, filters,likage,etc...

I got mine form Kerbside Autos on volkszone - but not sure if hes still selling parts.

ibérico said:

CBperformance do complete kits and top quality linkages second only to Berg. Postage/duty might be restrictive but i ordered a grands worth of stuff and only took 3 days to deliver. Dollar is creeping back up at 1.50 now.

you would be looking at the T1 type, if nothing else it will give you an idea of what you need.

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=537" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

as 36s are discontinued, most parts for 40 IDF will fit the 36 IDF.

Thank u so much for the info...I´m still keen on the idea of the twin carbs....but a friend of mine just suggested a completely different route....I know I´m going to get spanked for this, but how about fitting an ALFA engine? He´s fitted one in his beetle after a lot of hard work, but when he saw the space in the engine bay(no pun!) he started winding me into it....yeah, it´s not aircooled any more, but with a 1700cc injected engine you can get 100 bhp on tap easily, and if you go the 16v route we could be talking 140ponies...ummmm! that sounds interesting ...ok, so what do all the gurus out there think?

Latest posts