How much paint is needed?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggy

Reaction score
If you read my other thread you wil know that i have just bought 2 new door and an engine bay lid ready for bodywork and respray but how much paint is needed for a BAy?
Will i also need the same amount of primer or do i need more primer and less paint (paint can be thinned after all)
Anyone done this recently that can tell me how much paint they used?

We use 2 pack and roughly 5 litres of paint to do inside and out mixed at 2:1 (That's paint:hardener, thinners wise we usually do 15% for a first coat and 20 to 25% for final coats to make it flow out a little better)
Your always better off getting more paint than you need just in case something goes wrong (reactions etc) or at a later date you need to do a blow in.

Primer it depends on what your planning on doing really. It's not always necessary to high build all the interior metal work for instance. If its a bare metal job you might want to spray it in etch first. It's a wise idea to high build it, you might even want to do this a couple of times.
We mix high build at 5:1 and wet on wet at 4:1

However the amount of paint you differ depending on what product your using, I'm fairly sure you need to mix to different ratios if your using cellulose for instance.

I am going to spray my bay with 2k but need to know what hardener and thinners to use, fast, medium or slow? i will be heating the garage before and after spraying. How many coats would i get out of 5 litres of 2k acrylic gloss? (just doing the outside of the van) could it be done in one coat? mist coat followed by one full wet coat?.My plan is to sand the paint, spray barcoat, spray polyester and block sand(to get panels straight) then primer then colour. Just looking for a few tips

Ok, where to start.

Firstly, 2 pack isn't really the thing to be painting in your garage. Personally painting in your garage or out on the drive or whatever is all pretty sketchy in my opinion.
For doing 2 pack we are told to wear air fed masks and we are in proper filtered booths (thats filters for the air coming in, the recycle, and the air going out so we don't pump loads of crap into the atmos) with a 2 minute clearance time.

How do you intend to heat the garage, cause if your looking at space heaters its all a bit sketchy if you think your in a garage, no extraction, and nearly all the materials you'll be using in there are highly flammable.

Obviously your paint useage will depend on your gun and set up, but with 5 litres mixed 2:1 and assuming you have a gravity fed HVLP gun like a GTi you should easily get round it 3 times with lots left over.
I'd do a drop coat and then at least two colour coats. More if you've got the paint there. If you do it in one it'll have lines in it and look terrible.

You shouldn't really need to use barcoat, if your doing a full hit and its been painted in something nasty you might as well hit it with P80 and get down the original paint/primer

Polyester spray filler, the stuff we used to use got banned, so I'm not sure if there is a compliant polyester spray filler out there now?

We use PPG D839 Primer, we mixed it 5:1 for high build, so get three or four coats of that on and you'll have enough to block back. Then its up to you to do another couple of coats mixed at 5:1 or 4:1 or if your feeling lazy you could go wet on wet at 4:1 or just paint straight away depending on how you work up the grits after blocking and if you break through.

But as far as painting in your garage, I'd say its a no go, you'll get a better job if you just turn up at a bodyshop with the van prepped.
You can always prime the van with a roller, if you mix D839 at 5:1 with no thinners it rolls on and achieves a really good build so you can get all the blocking out the way. You could literally turn up with the van ready to be degreased and painted. However no bodyshop will guarentee the paint if they haven't done the prep.

Spraying at home isn't really a great idea, its dangerous, you can really piss off your neighbours and get yourself in hot water, the job won't look great unless your garage happens to be perfectly lit, dust free, have heating, extraction and youve got a decent set of guns and a compressor with enough balls to power them long enough to get round the van.

2 pack should not be entertained by any one who has not got a proper booth, proper PPE and training to use it. Whilst the thinners used with cellulose paint may give you a bit of a hangover, the hardener used with 2k contains isocyanite, of which even single exposures can be extremely harmful to health. So if you are doing an amateur job, stick with the celly... and still use breathing equipment.

Anyway, sermon over, I have used about 5 litres of celly to paint a T25 tin top before, mixed 50:50 with thinners (making 10 litres of paint), bit less for primer which is also mixed 50:50. Some people thin out the final coat a bit more, I would rather not make things complicated - its hard enough concentrating on getting a decent finish whilst getting around the van quick enough!

Hope this helps,
Pad

incidentally, dont think you cant get good finishes without 2k... see a 'driveway job' I did on an E30. Might not be as good from the gun, but you can work with it afterwards to good effect.

DSCF1595Medium.jpg

DSCF1596Medium.jpg

DSCF1680Medium.jpg

Pad said:
2 pack should not be entertained by any one who has not got a proper booth, proper PPE and training to use it. Whilst the thinners used with cellulose paint may give you a bit of a hangover, the hardener used with 2k contains isocyanite, of which even single exposures can be extremely harmful to health. So if you are doing an amateur job, stick with the celly... and still use breathing equipment.

Anyway, sermon over, I have used about 5 litres of celly to paint a T25 tin top before, mixed 50:50 with thinners (making 10 litres of paint), bit less for primer which is also mixed 50:50. Some people thin out the final coat a bit more, I would rather not make things complicated - its hard enough concentrating on getting a decent finish whilst getting around the van quick enough!

Hope this helps,
Pad
WHAT HE SAID...DON`T SPRAY 2K WITHOUT PROPER EXTRACTION AND PROPER PPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!It aint lighter fluid..this shit will kill you

Latest posts