How rare is my early bay ( with pics)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de Kleik

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Mark and am located in Holland.Recently i've bought an 1969 t2a....a weird one.
Bus was imported from Germany,orginal color was yellow,now it's firebrigade red,wich makes sense....in it's second life it was owned by a German fire department(unfortanally the logo's from front doors are removed so it's difficult to locate it's origine....
Now it gets weird.....the story goes when bus left factory it had some modifications done to fit its purpose.....a mobile radarbus? for a small? airport.
If you look at the pics you see the weird modifications....at some time there was something big standing on a base inside with a round pole through a big hole in the roof,close to small hole the is a smaller one...perhaps for an antenna?...
found the same size hole in the rear section of the roof,but that one is welded shut.
Another weird thing is my small slidingroof,with a window integrated...perhaps it was neccesary for the people inside to see whatever was sticking through the roof...
Can read a brandname on sliding roof "Golde"
At back,rightside of bus,i got an extra socket for 220 V,the engine has still a bracket and some relais for 2 alternators,and it got an extra heater...

would love to get more info on what it was used for in the old days,hope to find more information

now the pics :)

The base inside the bus.....

The roof....

The roof,close up...

Roofsection,taken from inside.....

Again,roofsection,from inside

Passengers side,extra 220 V socket....

socket again.....

Engine bay.....second alternator base.....

Extra heater....

Louvre windows on drivers side.....

Sure hope someone can help to find out what it's purpose was before it became a fire truck....

Greetz from Holland,Mark

and yes....my english isn't perfect :):)

Interesting bus you have there, Golde supplied sunroofs to VW for the Beetle so that makes sense, it all looks nice and 'factory'. I cant shed any light on its history but good to see something different.

What's you're m plate say??

Id expect some kind of SO?? number for a special build.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Sadly the M- plate is missing,not behind passengers seat,not on heatertube under dash.....

It's missing,the chassis plate is present and can see where it once was located,but it's gone

Interesting vehicle you have.

I would agree with your guess that a mobile radar or maybe communications antenna/microwave dish might have been fitted. I haven't seen one like this before.

Theres a couple of things you could try.

You could see if the factory birth certificate system shows any special codes relating to this chassis number or at least where it was delivered to.

Maybe the factory heritage museum has some information in its special built vehicles archive.

Latest posts