i picked my Bay up from the docks today...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkeyspinner Tim

Reaction score
i bought it because i needed a bus to transport a load of coolers and vintage bicycles in but now its here i'm really digging it and will probably keep it instead of selling it on as i originally planned...

ebay.jpg

ebay1.jpg

ebay2.jpg

ebay3.jpg

ebay4.jpg

ebay5.jpg

ebay6.jpg

ebay7.jpg

ebay8.jpg

It was originally a Westy weekender but the last owner sold the interior appart from the headliner and side/door panels... it has a bed but its only about 4 foot long!! [:s]

Nice van dude, very original. What is that bolted to the back wheel arch???

Looks like a oil cooler to me.

danno had one bolted to his split when he broght in in from the states. :D

It looks ok mate! Oil cooler thing is weird - I've never seem one of those before :?

Very odd, the oil cooler????

What size is the engine to need this added cooler and why is this a good option in a hot country?

Surely underneath is better? 8)

welcome to our world mr spinner :D

beats a split anyday (ok, yours are pretty cool)

look forward to seeing it once it's had 'the treatment'

It looks like an extra oil cooler to me as well. That is a quite common thing to do in Australia but they are usually mounted underneath, somwhere in front of the rear wheels. They work quite effectively when the air temp is getting above 35c. Probably a bit OTT for the UK though.

yeh i have one on my ute, twas from up north QLD then moved to NSW Sydney now in Tassie so not rearly needed but keept it cool though, i fitted a inline thermostat so only runs the cooler when required, also have a screw on oil filter remote which is possible when you have a cooler..

can you spot the cooler in this photo..

100_2800.jpg

That is one early Bay Window !

Looks very solid too :D

I'm sure you will find an interior a lot easier to find than a Bay that old and in that condition :!:

Is it as solid underneath ? If so that is one Great Early Bay :D

Just wondering why it would be mounted outside in the sun, rather than underneath in the shade? surely the same sort of air flow? Keeping the oil warmer is a bizarre idea! ??? 8)

easy said:
Nice van dude, very original. What is that bolted to the back wheel arch???

It is indeed an oil cooler, it also has a remote filter, the first thing i did was remove the cooler and give it an oil change... then i realised it doesnt have an original cooler inside the tinware so i put it back on but inside the rear corner just for now until i drop the engine and put one back inside the fan housing... even though it hasn't been used since 92 it started up and ran really nicely, all i did was replaced the fuel lines and changed the oil, i didn't even have the plugs out!

HBOT said:
That is one early Bay Window !

Looks very solid too :D

I'm sure you will find an interior a lot easier to find than a Bay that old and in that condition :!:

Is it as solid underneath ? If so that is one Great Early Bay :D

I've found an interior, its 99% correct but still in the states, luckily i have another bus coming back so i can put it inside for shipping...

It is perfect underneath, it has minor surface rust... the only rot is at the bottom of the windscreen and the inner and outer very lower front panel where the waters been going in through the bottom of the screen. oh and a couple of small holes in the cab floor... sills, outriggers etc are perfect!

Scampi said:
How much would one of them sell for over there if you don't mind me asking?

Over where? i'm in the UK... i bought it in the US off ebay, think he'd listed it in the wrong place... you don't want to know what i paid for it :shock:

Latest posts