Ignition switch / barrel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobster

Reaction score
Could anyone confirm, the spring that causes the ignition key to automatically return from position 2 to position 1 when starting your bus, is this in the ignition switch or in the barell itself?

Just wondering before I go buying parts as when I start my bus I turn the key but then gave to manually return it to position 1 so in keen to fix it before the missus burns out the starter :lol:

In the switch. !! The barrel is in reality just a thief proof device to stop someone with out key starting and driving away. Without barrel in place you can put screwdriver in space where barrel goes and turn ignition on and start vehicle.Not on modern vehicles though as key has chip to match ecu.
Robert
:) :)

Cheers Bob, at least that gives me hope I can replace it in situ ! I just have to order the part now and add it to my ever growing list !

It might be a good idea to also think about what we ask of this switch. When cranking we put a reasonable amount of juice through it.

So to 'make it last a bit longer' I fitted what is often referred to as a hot start relay (plenty of write ups on this site). I can't vouch for its ability in helping hot starting problems, but it does put less strain of what is a simple and fairly fragile little switch.

Of course, you'll be fine with just fitting a replacement no doubt, but my replacement didn't seem as solid as the original, hence my action

Latest posts